Ceremony Information for Students
It's your big day, so follow the directions below to make it go smoothly.
College of Arts and Science and College of Technology Ceremony
8 a.m. Doors open
9 a.m. Assemble in the lower level of the Convocation Center
9:10 a.m. Graduates file into the Convocation Center arena
9:30 a.m.. Commencement program begins
College of Business, College of Education and College of Health and Human Services Ceremony
12:30 p.m. Doors open
1:30 p.m. Assemble in the lower level of the Convocation Center
1:40 p.m. Graduates file into the Convocation Center arena
2 p.m. Commencement program begins
- Make sure to be in academic dress and in line before the processional begins.
- If you would like photos in the Atrium, please take them before the ceremony.
- Assemble in lower level of the Convocation Center no later than 30 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony.
- Make sure your guests have their tickets and you've previously arranged for handicapped seating, if needed.
- Please do not bring any bags into the Convocation Center. Any you do arrive with are subject to search to ensure safety. Give coats, phones/cameras or other personal items to friends or family members to hold during the ceremony. You may not bring any items with you onto the Convocation Center floor and will not be able to return to the lower level rooms after the ceremony (these rooms also are not locked or secured).
- Food, beverages and selfie sticks are not permitted in the Convocation Center.
- You'll line up in your academic dress in the lower level of the Convocation Center.
- After you're lined up, the marshals and staff will give you the signal to proceed into the Convocation Center arena.
- Upon the request of the Provost, the candidates for the bachelor's degree will stand as a group. After the presentation and acceptance by the representative of the Board of Regents, all persons should be seated.
- At the proper time, you'll receive a signal to come forward for your diploma covers. You'll rise, one row at a time, on the signal from the marshals.
- You will then walk to the stage and present your name/address card to the name reader. (Please print your name and address on the card and bring it with you to commencement. The card is used to announce you as receive your diploma cover and to mail your photo proof.)
- After your name is called, walk forward, take your diploma cover as your photo is taken and return to your chair.
- All candidates remain in their seats throughout the ceremony.
- Follow the direction of the marshals for the recessional.
After the Ceremony
- You'll then be directed outside the Convocation Center. Make arrangements with your guests to meet at a designated spot outside after the ceremony has ended. You won't be able to go back into Convocation Center after the ceremony.
Sunday, April 24, 2016
9:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.
How to Wear your Regalia
Cap & Gown
The gown must be hooked at the collar and remain hooked. The long point of the cap should be at the back with the tassel over the left temple.
Hoods (Graduate Students)
Place the hood over your head so the narrow velvet edge is at your throat. Take the bottom part of the velvet in the back and flip just the velvet so the colored satin is exposed.
Dark shoes are preferred; flowers should not be worn.
Following the tradition, men should remove their caps during the national anthem.