Student Services Office
Welcome to the College of Technology’s (COT) Student Services Office. We are here to help undergraduate students have a successful experience while pursuing their degree in the COT. Located in 150 Sill Hall, our staff is ready to assist you with questions about general education requirements, exploring COT majors, setting up your class schedule and much more.
General Education and other university requirements must be reviewed by our general education advising staff in the Office of Student Services. If you have general questions about university requirements, including the mandatory new student first semester advising, please schedule an appointment by clicking the "General Education Advising" button below.
Each student will work with their faculty/major advisor for help with requirements in their specific major. To find your faculty advisor, click the "Major Advising" button below.
Due to the high volume of students the Office of Student Services helps on a daily basis, we require students to schedule an appointment in advance. To schedule an in-person appointment with a general education advisor in the COT, please click the "General Education Advising" button above. To schedule an over-the-phone appointment, please call 734.487.8659.
Please review your appointment confirmation email to assure you understand your role in your academic advising appointment. If you cannot find your confirmation email, please contact our office so we may resend your confirmation. For questions or to reschedule an appointment, please call our office.
Come prepared to your advising appointments with specific questions. You can look at General Education as well as degree/ program requirements and all courses offered at EMU by visiting the University Catalog.
We expect you to:
- Attend advising appointments prepared with questions for your advisor.
- Become knowledgeable of EMU Requirements, policies, procedures and resources.
- Research the schedule of classes and prepare a tentative schedule.
- Reflect upon your educational, personal, and professional goals and be prepared to discuss them.
- Read you EMU email frequently and respond in a timely manner.
- Assemble an "advising folder" to keep all of your advising materials organized (e.g. relevant test scores, program planning sheet, degree map, academic advising syllabus, orientation paperwork, etc.)
- Meet with an academic advisor every semester to review progress towards your degree.
- Follow up on responsibilities and referrals, such as taking a placement exam, submitting paperwork or meeting with faculty advisors.
- Take responsibility for your decisions and your education.
You can expect your advisor to:
- Help you develop and refine your academic goals.
- Assist you in understanding your academic requirements, and University policies and procedures.
- Make appropriate referrals to on and off campus resources.
- Be available to answer questions through scheduled appointments.
- Listen to your concerns and respect individual values and choices.
- Help you make informed decisions, but not make decisions for you.
Those that wish to transfer to EMU should have their most recent transcripts sent to EMU at least three weeks before meeting with COT General Education advising. Consult your current institution's records office and the EMU Office of Records and Registration transcript page for information regarding transcript orders.
Hours of Operation
Office hours are 8 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Friday by appointment only.
Coordinator, Student Services Office
- Bia Hamed
- Joleen Hargis, Academic Advisor
- Sandy Krupa, Academic Advisor
- Helena Kuznia
- University Advising and Career Development Center (UACDC)
- Parking map for COT Visitors [PDF]
- How to Register for Classes Online (My.Emich)
- General Education
- Campus Map
- Records and Registration
- Financial Aid
- Tuition and Fees
- Transfer Admissions
- Undergraduate Admissions
- Request for Reinstatement after Dismissal form [PDF]