Automotive Coating and Trends
materials and Applications
May 22-24, 2018
Instructor: Dr. J. Baghdachi, PhD., and industry representatives
Automotive coatings require high performance, workability, and long-term durability. To effectively
and successfully deal with such challenges and to thrive amid ever-fiercer competition, thorough
knowledge of coating properties, application and processing parameters are essential for coatings
manufacturers, users and raw materials suppliers. This applied and highly interactive workshop
will offer a sound assessment of the latest developments in materials, application methods, and
design of a high performance and environmentally compliant coating operations.
Who Should Attend?
All personnel dealing with functional, decorative and protective coatings including process,
design, design and specification engineers and quality control personnel will find this interactive
highly informative and relevant. The course is appropriate for current users with limited to very
good knowledge of coatings operations, which need or want to learn fundamentals, new technologies
What You Will Learn:
• Gain a thorough understanding of automotive coating materials and application parameters.
• Develop an overall understanding of surface treatment and corrosion prevention methods and
• Learn “Rational Formulation Processes”
• Gain valuable understanding of durability of coatings and how to improve overall performance.
• Learn how to save costs by implementing more efficient processes and judicial selection of
• Identify defects and learn prevention steps and methods.
• Overview of Automotive Coating Technologies
• Global Challenges, Opportunities and Unmet Needs
• Cost and Regulatory Constraints
• Tools and Emerging Technology Utilization: Smart Coatings
• Coating Types, Properties, and Trends
• The Role of Raw Materials (What to use. When to use, How much to you use)
• Rational Formulation and Outcome Measurement
• Automotive Surface Treatment Technologies and Future Trends
• Adhesion, Methods of Maintaining and Improving Adhesion
• Corrosion and Corrosion Control Technologies
• Coating Film Formation and its Effects on Decoration, Protection and Durability
• 3C/1B Technologies, Limitations and Improvement Methodologies
• Emerging Technologies, Sustainable Materials and Processes
• Coating Plastics and Composites
• Waterborne Technologies, Merits and Properties
• Powder Coating Technologies, Selection Criteria and Trends
• UV-Cure and Alternative Cure Technologies
• Coatings Evaluation and Service Life Assessment Methodologies
• Coating Defect identification, Characterization and Prevention
• Improving Durability and Performance of Coatings
• Opportunities in Raw Materials, Coatings and Processes.
Daily Program Schedule
Class times are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day.
Enrollment is limited to 25 participants.
The fee for the 3-day course is $1,250 which covers a course-book, lunch each day and all class supplies. Lodging and other meals are not included. A certificate of participation is presented to each registrant.
Read our registration deadline and withdrawal/cancellation policies*
Click the Register Now to be redirected to the EMU Professional Programs and Training secure registration site and select Polymers and Coatings.
In the event you are unable to participate, substitutions are welcome at any time – just let us know. Please notify us IN WRITING of cancellations and transfers five (5) business days prior to the start date of the seminar in order to avoid a processing fee of $150. Please email cancellations to email@example.com. If you do not attend the seminar and do not cancel or transfer prior to the start date, the seminar fee is non-refundable.
Please note that it is our policy to hold all seminars. However, EMU reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any seminar, if necessary, and to substitute presenters. We will gladly issue seminar fee refunds if cancellation is necessary, but we cannot be responsible for any airfare penalties or other travel expenses that may be incurred due to these changes.