Basics of Polyurethane Coatings
May 22-23, 2018
Instructor: Vijay Mannari, Ph.D.
Polyurethane (PU) coatings are among the rapidly growing and most versatile systems with ever expanding applications in industrial, architectural and specialty areas. The objective of this course is to present fundamental understanding of PU chemistry and technology and how it is harnessed in formulation of a variety of PU coating systems.
The content of the course has been structured to first build understanding of PU raw materials, chemistry and their resin technology, and subsequently understand how various PU coating systems are designed for specific end-use applications. The course also presents state of art of PU technologies, and commercial products available on such technologies. A special emphasis is on addressing VOC and related legislations.
Please view this short preview video to get a taste of what the course offers.
Who should attend?
This course is designed for those involved in development, application and technical marketing of coatings. It is highly recommended for personnel involved in coating development, marketing, sales, customer support staff, field representatives, entry-level chemists in technical/research area.
What you will learn
- Raw materials used in PU resins and coatings
- Chemistry and technologies of PU coatings
- How coatings are formulated using various of cross-linking techniques
- Water-borne, Solvent born and UV curable PU systems
- Comparison among various PU and other coating systems
- Commercial products in the market, the state of art and future trends
- Overview of global coating market, coating technologies,
- PU Raw materials -Isocyanates, Polyols, additives
- Chemistry of PU resin systems
- PU Coating technologies
- 1K and 2K PU systems
- Air-drying and moisture-cure systems,
- Coating formulations and Calculations
- Advantages & limitations
- 2K-PU systems
- Selection of isocyanates
- Selection of polyols
- Controlling properties through choice of raw materials.
- Water-borne PU Coatings
- 2K-PU W/B coating systems
- Polyurethane dispersions(PUDs)
- Raw materials, synthesis and applications
- PU Coatings-comparison with other coatings
- Commercial products, VOC benefits
- Future trends, Isocyanate-free PU systems, Polyurea, Polyaspartics
Daily Program Schedule
Class times are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day.
Enrollment is limited to 24 participants.
The fee for the 2-day course is $950 which covers a course-book, lunch each day and all class supplies. Lodging and other meals are not included. A certificate of participation is presented to each registrant.
For more information, call Beth Stoner at Eastern Michigan University, 734.487.8285 or email@example.com.
Read our registration deadline and withdrawal/cancellation policies*
Click the Register Now to be redirected to the EMU Professional Programs and Training secure registration site and select Polymers and Coatings.
In the event you are unable to participate, substitutions are welcome at any time – just let us know. Please notify us IN WRITING of cancellations and transfers five (5) business days prior to the start date of the seminar in order to avoid a processing fee of $150. Please email cancellations to
. If you do not attend the seminar and do not cancel or transfer prior to the start date, the seminar fee is non-refundable.
Please note that it is our policy to hold all seminars. However, EMU reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any seminar, if necessary, and to substitute presenters. We will gladly issue seminar fee refunds if cancellation is necessary, but we cannot be responsible for any airfare penalties or other travel expenses that may be incurred due to these changes.