Coatings and Paint Technologies: Formulation and Application
April 17-19, 2018
Instructor: Dr. J. Baghdachi, PhD., and industry representatives
The Coatings and Paint Technology is a mid-level course designed to provide up-to-date information on raw materials, coating formulation, properties, application and selection of various coating materials. The objective is to discuss ingredients, composition and properties of industrial, automotive, marine, aerospace and trade sales coatings. Raw materials and coating types, properties, and selection, performance criteria, problem resolution, testing and evaluation and future coatings and raw materials needs, will also be discussed.
Who should attend?
This course is specifically designed to provide a through fundamental understanding and working knowledge of today's coatings and paints. It is highly recommended for beginners, formulators, marketing, technical sales, paint users, customer support staff, field representatives, manufacturing personnel and all others who need a broad knowledge of this dynamic and complex technology.
What you will learn
• Coating composition: The basic role of coating ingredients and properties
• Types of paints/coatings and their basic properties
• Rational formulation guidelines
• Fundamentals of adhesion and corrosion control
• How to select performing coatings
• Application and processing methods
• Problem resolution: raw material, finished paint and applications
• Unmet raw materials and coating product needs.
• Overview of global coatings and paint market
• Overview of coatings technologies
• The basic role of paint ingredients: Resins, solvents, pigments and additives
• Film formation: Drying and curing of paints and coatings, all technologies
• Fundamentals of polymer (resin) chemistries
• Pigments and pigment dispersion
• Additives: functions and levels
• Enhancing coating properties through raw materials selection
• Rational formulation guidelines Fundamentals of adhesion
• Requirements of good surface preparation
• How to improve adhesion through formulation/application/process?
• Fundamentals of corrosion
• Methods of corrosion control by coatings
• Coating types and properties-all technologies: Solvent borne and water- based coatings
• Fundamentals of powder and UV cured coatings
• Introduction to waterborne coatings
• Electrocoat, EC/Electrodeposition (ED) coating
• Evaluation and standard test methods
• Coping with environmental regulations
• Identifying composition and application problems
Daily Program Schedule
Class times are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day.
Enrollment is limited to 25 participants.
The fee for the 3-day course is $1,250 which covers a course-book, lunch each day and all class supplies. Lodging and other meals are not included. A certificate of participation is presented to each registrant.
Read our registration deadline and withdrawal/cancellation policies*
Click the Register Now to be redirected to the EMU Professional Programs and Training secure registration site and select Polymers and Coatings.
In the event you are unable to participate, substitutions are welcome at any time – just let us know. Please notify us IN WRITING of cancellations and transfers five (5) business days prior to the start date of the seminar in order to avoid a processing fee of $150. Please email cancellations to firstname.lastname@example.org If you do not attend the seminar and do not cancel or transfer prior to the start date, the seminar fee is non-refundable.
Please note that it is our policy to hold all seminars. However, EMU reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any seminar, if necessary, and to substitute presenters. We will gladly issue seminar fee refunds if cancellation is necessary, but we cannot be responsible for any airfare penalties or other travel expenses that may be incurred due to these changes.