Coatings and Paint Technologies: Fundamental and Practical aspects
Date: June 14-16, 2019
Course Fee: $1,250.00
Location: Boone Hall, Ypsilanti, MI
Instructor: Vijay Mannari, Ph.D.
This mid-level course designed to provide up-to-date information on paints and coating materials used in today’s industrial, architectural and specialty applications. The course introduces fundamentals concepts and then builds thorough understanding of composition, cure-mechanism and applications of currently used technologies of coating materials – Solvent based, water-borne, high-solid, Powder, and UV-cure coatings. Detailed discussion on role of raw materials, coating formulation, comparison of different technologies, manufacturing and application processes, testing and evaluation will provide very strong foundation and practical knowledge of coating materials.
Who should attend?
This course is specifically designed to provide a through fundamental understanding and working knowledge of today's coatings and paints. It is highly recommended for beginners, formulators, marketing, technical sales, paint users, customer support staff, field representatives, manufacturing personnel and all others who need a broad knowledge of this dynamic and complex technology.
What you will learn
- Coating Composition: The basic role of coating ingredients and properties
- Types of paints/coatings and current technologies
- Fundamentals of coating formulations
- Manufacturing process and equipment
- How coatings are applied and cured
Testing and evaluation methods and protocols
- Overview of global coatings and paint market
- Role of paints and coatings
- The Basic Role of paint Ingredients: Resins, solvents, pigments and additives
- Coating Technologies : Solvent-based, Water-borne, High-Solids, Powder, UV-Cure coatings, benefits and shortcomings
- Types of Coatings - Thermoplastics, thermoset
- Film Formation: Mechanism of drying and curing of paints and coatings
- Coating Raw materials: Fundamental concepts, types and applications
- Fundamentals of polymer (resin) chemistries and resins for coatings
- Pigments and extenders
- Solvents and Additives
- Paints and Coatings Manufacturing: Process and equipment
Application methods: Spray, roller & Brush, electrostatic, powder coating,
electrodeposition, robotic applications
- Curing Techniques: Ambient (1K, 2K), thermal, moisture cure, UV/EB curing and understanding their benefits and limitations
Fundamentals of Coating Formulations
- Pigment Volume Concentration (PVC) concept
- Varying properties and performance with PVC
Understanding Coating Formulations and Processing Instructions
- Solvent-based and water bases coatings
- Testing and evaluation of paints and coatings
- Common defects, underlying causes and resolution
For more information, please contact Professional Programs and Training at 734-487-2259 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
To enroll in a course, please visit the Polymers and Coatings registration site.