Emulsion Polymerization and Waterborne Coatings
May 8-10, 2018
Instructor: Dr. J. Baghdachi, PhD., and industry representatives
This course specifically deals with water-based resin technologies, water-based coatings and their properties. The most recent theories, methods and procedures of emulsion polymerization, polymer types as applied to industrial applications will be thoroughly discussed. Waterborne resins including polyurethane, alkyds, epoxies, acrylics and other industrial polymers will also be discussed. Throughout the course, facts and findings as well as formulation guidelines will be presented.
Who should attend?
Designed to provide technical information for coatings manufacturers, industry suppliers and users of coatings and paint materials at all levels. It is specifically recommended for formulators, raw materials suppliers, paint users, chemists, engineers and quality control personnel.
What you will learn
- Gain an overall understanding of water-based resin and coating chemistries and formulations.
- Obtain up-to-date information on emulsion polymerization techniques and properties
- Learn advantages and disadvantages of water-based coatings.
- Receive unbiased technical information on properties of raw materials, resins and coatings.
- Obtain latest technical information, trends and receive formulation guidelines.
Waterborne resin chemistries
- Introduction to waterborne coatings
- Waterborne resin types and properties
- Emulsion polymerization technologies
- Water-reducible and latex resins: acrylic, alkyd, epoxy, polyester, polyurethane and hybrid resins
- Additives: Surfactant and coalescent agent types and functions
- Conventional and hybrid polyurethane dispersion technologies
- Film formation and cure of waterborne coatings
Enabling technologies and formulation guidelines
- Additives, pigments and their function
- Adhesion of waterborne coating
- Corrosion control with waterborne coatings·
- Formulation of architectural coatings
- Formulating automotive, industrial and maintenance coatings
- Waterborne coating types, properties and selection criteria
Formulation, application and evaluation
- Testing and evaluation
- Adhesion promoter and primer technologies
- Waterborne coatings for water-proofing applications (masonry and roofing)
- Electro-coat and special-purpose coatings
- Durability and performance of waterborne coatings
- Problem-solving session
Daily Program Schedule
Class times are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day.
Enrollment is limited to 25 participants.
The fee for the 3-day course is $1,250 which covers a course-book, lunch each day and all class supplies. Lodging and other meals are not included. A certificate of participation is presented to each registrant.
For more information, call Karen Metz at Eastern Michigan University, 734.487.2259, FAX: 734.481.0509 or email@example.com.
Read our registration deadline and withdrawal/cancellation policies*
Click the Register Now to be redirected to the EMU Professional Programs and Training secure registration site and select Polymers and Coatings.
In the event you are unable to participate, substitutions are welcome at any time – just let us know. Please notify us IN WRITING of cancellations and transfers five (5) business days prior to the start date of the seminar in order to avoid a processing fee of $150. You may email our registrar, Karen Metz, at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax your cancellation to 734.481.0509. If you do not attend the seminar and do not cancel or transfer prior to the start date, the seminar fee is non-refundable.
Please note that it is our policy to hold all seminars. However, EMU reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any seminar, if necessary, and to substitute presenters. We will gladly issue seminar fee refunds if cancellation is necessary, but we cannot be responsible for any airfare penalties or other travel expenses that may be incurred due to these changes.