- Bachelor of Science, EMU, 1996
- Masters of Arts in English, University of Colorado-Boulder, 2001
- Masters of Arts in Economics, EMU, 2009
September 2010 - present - Assistant Professor
Interests and Expertise
- TM 130 Introduction to Technology Management
- TM 212 The Management of Technological Change
- TM 314W Managing for Process Improvement (GEWI)
- TM 415 Senior Seminar in Technology Managemen
- TM 510 The Management of Technology and Innovation
- COT 300W Research and Writing: The Technology Career Perspective (GEWI)
Downs, G., Becker, P. (2011). “What factors affect academic performance in an online Technology Management bachelors program?”.” Published in the Proceedings of “PICMET 11: Technology Management in the Energy Smart World”. Portland, Or.
Downs,G. McAllen, D. (2012) “The effect of intrinsic motivation on success in a technology management undergraduate program”. Published in the proceedings of “PICMET 12: Technology Management for Emerging Technologies.” Vancouver, BC.
McAllen, D., Downs,G., Ascani, H (2013). “The relationship between prior military education and academic performance in an online technology management undergraduate program.” Published in the proceedings of “PICMET 13: Technology Management in the IT-Driven Services”. San Jose, CA.
Downs, G., Alfawzan, L (2014). “Exploring the relationship between technological implementation and organizational structure”. Accepted for publication in the Journal of Business and Economics.
Downs, G., & McAllen, D. (2014). “Exploring the Relationship between Military Service and Performance in Online Classes.” Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, 17(4).
Downs, G & McAllen, D (2015). “How Much Do They Know? A Survey of the Foundational Knowledge of Incoming Technology Management Undergraduates”. Accepted for publication in the Proceedings of “PICMET 15: Management of the Technology Age”, Portland OR.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Member of PICMET, 2012-Present
Associate Editor, Economic Development Quarterly.
Awards and Patents
- The ways technology is leveraged in both public and private sector organizations and how technological implementation changes organizational structure and culture.
- How technology affects pedagogy in technology-related academic disciplines.