Dr. Harvey Lyons
Mechanical Engineering Technology
School of Engineering Technology
114 Sill Hall
Education1) Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering at the Ohio State University
2) Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering from Cooper Union in New York City
3) Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering from Cooper Union in New York City
4) Certificate in Industrial Design from Pratt Institute in New York City
Interests and ExpertiseResearch interest is in the tribological behavior of metallic materials, principally the fretting-wear mode of failure. Teaching interests include: the design and stress analysis of mechanical and structural components with consideration for industrial design and failure analysis; and the senior design capstone program.
- ET 100: Introduction to Engineering Technology. Development of interdisciplinary open-ended technological design projects.
- CADM 101: Introduction to Industrial Drawing. Mechanical drawing course emphasizing orthographic projection.
- CADM 122: Engineering Graphics I. Mechanical drawing course emphasizing descriptive geometry.
- COT 179: Technology career paths, Introduces students to career paths in School of Engineering Technology.
- MET 211: Statics. Development and application of static equilibrium in structural components with emphasis on engineering applications.
- MET 313: Applied Mechanics of Materials. Analysis and design of structural members subjected to external forces.
- MET 411: Mechanical/Machine Design. Application of stress, strength and deformation concepts for principal mechanical components used in machines.
- MET 437: Kinematics of Machines. Kinematic and dynamic analysis and application of forces existing in mechanisms and machines.
- CADM 491: Design Capstone. Synthesis of previous academic work towards development of a fully-defined new product in a team environment.
- MET 492 & 493: Senior Design Projects I & II. Two semester sequence develops a comprehensive, open-ended design project.
Lyons, H., "Engineering Technology Partnership with Industry", presented at the ASEE 2011 St. Lawrence Section Conference, Excelsior College, Albany, NY, March, 2011.
Lyons, H., Brake, M., "An Informal Study of Calculus and Physics Requirements in Engineering Technology", Journal of Technology Interface, Vol.10, No.3, 2010.
Lyons, H., "Globalization Trends in Engineering and Engineering Technology", presented at the North Central Section Conference, Grand Rapids, MI, April, 2009.
Lyons, H., "Current and Future Trends in Engineering and Technology Programs", presented at the ASEE Annual IL/IN Conference, Indianapolis, IA, March, 2007.
Lyons, H., The Future Practice of Engineering, Presented at the ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition: Advancing Scholarship in Engineering Education, Chicago, Illinois, June, 2006.
Lyons, H., Albayyari, J., TAC/ABET Self-Study Report for the Mechanical Engineering Technology Program at Eastern Michigan University, presented at the ASEE North Central Spring Conference, Ohio Northern University, Ada, Ohio, April, 2005.
Lyons, H., Albayyari, J., Lahidji, B. The Capstone Program - Experience for Industry. Presented at the ASEE North Central Spring Conference. Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan, April, 2004.
Lyons, H., Teaching and Assessing Teaming Skill via Design Courses. Proceeding of the 2003 ASEE Annual Conference. Presented in a Poster Session for the Engineering Technology Division, Nashville, Tennessee, June, 2003.
Lyons, H., Albayyari, J., Developing Engineering Technology Education for Professional Practice. Presented at the ASEE North Central Section Annual Spring Conference, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, April 2003.
Lyons, H., Collins-Eaglin, J., Technology Career Paths: Development of a New Program in the College of Technology for Undeclared Students (COT 100). Eastern Michigan University, May, 2002.
Lyons, H., Using Problems to Teach ET 100: Introduction to Engineering Technology. Presented at the teaching and Learning Showcase, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, April, 2002.
Lyons, H., Albayyari, J., Unifying the Engineering Technology Curriculum. Presented at the ASEE North Central Section: Engineering Education in the New Millennium. The Ohio Aerospace Institute, Cleveland, Ohio, April, 2001.
Lyons,H., Albayyari, J., Integrating the Freshman Experience: E.T. Design Projects. Presented at the ASEE North Central Section: Engineering Education in the New Millennium. The Ohio Aerospace Institute, Cleveland, Ohio, April 2001.
Lyons, H., Albayyari, J. An Engineering Technology Core for the New Millennium. Presented at the ASEE Interamerican Conference on Engineering and Technology Education, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, June 2000.
Lyons, H., The Industrial Design of Mechanical Engineering Technology. Presented at the ASME 1999 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Symposium, Nashville, Tennessee, November, 1999.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (life member), American Society for Engineering Education, National Society of Professional Engineers, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, Engineering Society of Detroit.
Registered Professional Engineer in Michigan, New York, Ohio, Wisconsin, Montana and New Hampshire.
Awards and Patents
- President's Distinguished Service Award for Freshman Engineering Education (IIT) 1993.
- Nominated for Distinguished Faculty Teaching Award (EMU) 2002.
- Member of the Honor Society Pi Tau Sigma.
- Who's Who in Science and Engineering
- Member of the Order of the Engineer.