Mr. Philip Rufe
Product Design Engineering Technology
School of Engineering
120 Sill Hall
- B.S.E (Mechanical Engineering) University of Michigan
- M.S. (Manufacturing Technology) Eastern Michigan University
- B.S. (Industrial Art Education) Millersville University
August 1990 - September 2007 - Instructor
September - present - Assistant Professor
Interests and Expertise
Manufacturing Engineering, Design for Manufacture and Assembly, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, Concept Development, Intellectual Property, and Additive Manufacturing.
- CADM 101 Introduction to Engineering Graphics
- MFG 103 Introduction to Automation
- PDET 123 Manufacturing Processes
- PDET 156 Teamwork in Product Design
- PDET 157 Introduction to Product Design
- MFG 203 Industrial Operations
- PDET 224 Solid Modeling
- MFG 290 GD&T and Metrology
- PDET 216 Concept Development
- 325 Applied Statics and Strength of Materials
- PDET 350 Prototyping
- MFG 421 Manufacturing Engineering Analysis
- MFG 470 Integrated Product and Process Design
- MFG 479 Aircraft Fabrication
- MFG 479 Certified Manufacturing Technologist Exam Review
- 491 CAD Capstone
- PDET 492 Product Realization Capstone
- EM 511 Fundamentals of Manufacturing
- EM 570 Patents and Engineering Law
- MFG 591 Design for Manufacture and Assembly
- MFG 636 Manufacturing Processes Analysis
- EM 670 Design for Manufacturing
Rufe, P. ed. 2013. Fundamentals of Manufacturing, 3rd ed. Dearborn, MI: Society of Manufacturing Engineers.
Rufe, P. 2013. Fundamentals of Manufacturing Workbook, 3rd ed. Dearborn, MI: Society of Manufacturing Engineers.
From concept to market: Rewards and challenges in commercialization of “green” sustainable polyurethane technology. Vijay Mannari and Philip Rufe, 248th ACS National Meeting and Exposition, Aug 10-14, 2014, San Francisco, CA
Rufe, Philip 1998. Fatigue Fundamentals and Review of Critical Literature. Journal of School of Engineering Technology, 14 (3).
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Awards and Patents
I have been a faculty member at Eastern Michigan University since 1990 and hold degrees in education, manufacturing, and mechanical engineering. I am actively involved in several professional societies, local economic development, and technology transfer. Over the past 8 years, I submitted $1,500,000 in research grants and received $400,000 in funding.