Dr. Tareq Khan, Ph.D.
Computer Engineering Technology (CET)
School of Engineering Technology
108 Sill Hall
- Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
- M.A.Sc., Electrical and Computer Engineering, Concordia University, Canada
- B.Sc., Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Islamic University of Technology, Bangladesh
September 2017 - present - Assistant Professor
Interests and Expertise
Embedded Systems targeting Healthcare applications, Smart Home, Internet of Things (IoT), Machine Learning, Capsule Endoscopy, and Image Processing
- CET 120 Engineering Graphics Essentials with Electronics Applications
- CET 151 Introduction to Computing in Engineering Technology
- CET 215 Computer Hardware and Software
- CET 351 Engineering Database Development
- CET 353 Web Development for Engineering Applications
- CET 364 Computer Embedded Systems
- CET 374 Sensor, Control, and Data Acquisition
- CET 384 Computer Interfacing Programming
- EECE 352 Digital System Design with HDL
- EECE 452 Advanced Digital System Design with FPGA
Peer reviewed journal articles
[Q#] indicates SJR Quartiles in 2017
- T. H. Khan, “Smart microwave oven with image classification and temperature recommendation algorithm”, International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering (IJECE), ISSN: 2088-8708, vol. 8, no. 6, part I, pp. 4239-4252, 2018. [Q2].
- T. H. Khan, “Low complexity fluctuation measurement in image processing considering order”, International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering (IJECE), ISSN: 2088-8708, vol. 8, no. 6, part I, pp. 4253-4257, 2018. [Q2].
- T. H. Khan, “Design of an autonomous smart shower with sensors and actuators”, International Journal of Embedded Systems and Applications (IJESA), ISSN: 1839-5171, ISSN: 1839-5171, vol. 8, no. 1/2/3, 18 pages, 2018.
- T. H. Khan, “Cloud-based architecture of a smart expiry system with IoT device”, International Journal of Advance Engineering and Research Development (IJAERD), ISSN: 2348-6406, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 641-650, 2018. [Impact Factor: 5.71]
- T. H. Khan, S. K. Mohammed, M. S. Imtiaz and K. Wahid, “Color reproduction and processing algorithm based on real-time mapping for endoscopic images,” Springerplus, vol. 5, no. 17, 16 pages, 2016. [Q1]
- T. H. Khan, S. K. Mohammed, M. S. Imtiaz and K. Wahid, “Efficient color reproduction algorithm for endoscopic images based on dynamic color map”, Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, Springer, ISSN: 1609-0985, pp. 1-10, 2016. [Q3].
- T. H. Khan, R. Shrestha, M. S. Imtiaz, and K. Wahid, “Color-reproduction algorithm for transmitting variable video frames and its application to capsule endoscopy,” IET Healthcare Technology Letters, ISSN: 2053-3713, doi:10.1049/htl.2014.0086, 2015.
- T. H. Khan, R. Shrestha, K. Wahid, and P. Babyn, "Design of a smart-device and FPGA based wireless capsule endoscopic system," Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Elsevier, ISSN: 09244247, vol. 221, pp. 77 – 87, 2014. [Q1].
- T. H. Khan and K. Wahid, “Design of a lossless image compression system for video capsule endoscopy and its performance in in-vivo trials,” Sensors, ISSN: 1424-8220, vol. 14, issue. 11, pp. 20779 - 20799, 2014. [Q2].
- T. H. Khan, R. Shrestha and K. Wahid, “A modular and programmable development platform for capsule endoscopy system,” Journal of Medical Systems, Springer, ISSN: 0148-5598, vol. 38, issue. 6, article. 57, 2014. [Q2].
- T. H. Khan and K. Wahid, “White and narrow band image compressor based on a new color space for capsule endoscopy,” Image Communication, Elsevier, ISSN: 0923-5965, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 345 - 360, 2014. [Q2].
- T. H. Khan and K. Wahid, "A portable wireless body sensor data logger and its application in video capsule endoscopy," Microprocessors and Microsystems, Elsevier, ISSN: 0141-9331, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 42 - 52, 2014. [Q3].
- T. H. Khan and K. Wahid, “Low power and low complexity compressor for video capsule endoscopy,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology , vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1534-1546, doi: 10.1109/TCSVT.2011.2163985, 2011. [Q1].
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Apparatus, methods and systems for randomly accessing pixel data from streaming image sensor data, inventors: T. H. Khan and K. Wahid, US patent no: 8,953,070, issued on Feb 10th, 2015
- Methods and apparatus for image processing in wireless capsule endoscopy, inventors: T. H. Khan and K. Wahid, US patent no: 9,088,716, issued on Jul 21, 2015
Embedded system projects such as designing pre-paid electricity and gas metering system, automatic meter reading (AMR), data acquisition and monitoring systems.
Tareq Khan received his Ph.D. degree from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of University of Saskatchewan, Canada. He is currently working as an Assistant Professor in the School of Engineering Technology of Eastern Michigan University, USA. To date, Dr. Khan has authored (and co-authored) 2 books, 1 book chapter, 20 peer-reviewed journals and 27 conference papers. He currently has 2 US patents granted. In addition to his academic research, he has also industrial experiences on embedded system projects such as designing pre-paid electricity and gas metering system, automatic meter reading (AMR), data acquisition and monitoring systems etc. His research interests include embedded systems targeting healthcare applications, smart home, Internet of Things (IoT), machine learning, capsule endoscopy, and image processing. He is a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).