EMU Army ROTC
Eagle Battalion History
Army ROTC at Eastern Michigan University was introduced to the campus in 1952. At that time, EMU was known as the Michigan State Normal School and had 213 freshmen enrolled in ROTC classes. From its inception, the ROTC program at EMU has been a strong, respected, well-supported campus institution. Prior to the 1968-69 school year, ROTC was mandatory for all first-semester freshman males for their first two years of college. Classes were taught in Welch Hall. Extracurricular activities included: Scabbard and Blade, and AUSA Company, a Counter-Insurgency Unit, Drill Team, and a Drum and Bugle Corps.
Major changes came in 1968 when ROTC became fully elective. The program moved to Roosevelt Hall (its current location) in July 1973. The university allowed the residing cadre liberty to design the new facilities themselves. They included a multi-level firing range, supply room and plenty of day room space for the cadets. The period of greatest enrollment was in 1966 with 1,856 cadets in the program. In 1974, enrollment dropped to 74 cadets. Today, there are approximately 100 cadets in the ROTC program.
Extracurricular activities include:
- Color Guard
- Cannon Crew
Distinguished graduates of EMU include:
- Lieutenant General Oren DeHaven
- Congressman Carl D. Pursell
- General John C. Coburn (Commander U.S. Materiel Command)
- Brigadier General John Rowland and Colonel William J. Stephens.
- Brigadier General Miles Davis
Advanced Optional Training
- Airborne Training
- Air Assault Training
- Northern Warfare Training Course (NWTC)
- Mountain Warfare Training
- Cadet Troop Leader Training (CTLT)
- Cultural Understanding and Language Proficiency (CULP)