The Standard CTE Certificate (formerly the IOC / Interim occupation certificate)
Linked here is a copy of the Standard CTE Certificate application. The Standard CTE Certificate is valid for teaching in a Michigan approved Career and Technical Education (CTE) program in the occupational area in which the teacher is endorsed. EMU’s program is meant for the following candidates: 1) certified teachers who wish to earn a vocational endorsement, and 2) those without previous certification who wish to teach in a specific occupational area.
EMU offers CTE's in the following occupational areas (the numbers in parenthesis are the corresponding CIP codes):
- Aeronautics/Aviation/Aerospace Science And Technology (49.0101)
- Airframe Technology (47.0607)
- Automobile Technician (Natef Certified) (47.0604)
- Business Administration Management And Operations (52.0299)
- Collision Repair Technician (Natef Certified) (47.0603)
- Computer Programming/Programmer (11.0201)
- Computer Systems Networking And Telecommunication (11.0901)
- Construction Trades (46.0000)
- Cooking And Related Culinary Arts (12.0500)
- Digital/Multimedia And Information Resources Design (11.0801)
- Drafting And Design Technology/Architectural (15.1301)
- Electrical And Power Transmission Installation (46.0301)
- Electrical/Electronics Equipment Installation & Repair General (47.0101)
- Engineering Technology (15.0000)
- Finance And Financial Management Services (52.0800)
- Graphics And Printing Technology And Communications (10.0301)
- Lineworker (46.0303)
- Machine Tool Technology/Machinist (48.0501)
- Marketing, Sales, And Service (52.1999)
- Mechatronics (14.4201)
- Medium/Heavy Truck Technician (Natef Certified) (47.0613)
- Radio And Tv Broad Casting Tech. (10.0202)
- Welding, Brazing, And Soldering (48.0508)
The CTE Certificate requires:
- 4-year bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Admission to EMU requires submission of official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. For more information see EMU admissions requirements.
- Major or minor in the vocational area of certification.
- 4000 hours of relevant and recent work experience in the vocational area of certification. Work experience can be no more than 6 years old at the time of certification.
- Successful completion of BMMT 200 and 363 at EMU.
- Pass all sections of the Michigan Test for Certification (MTTC) Professional Readiness Exam (PRE) or other Michigan approved test of basic skills.
- Pass the MTTC subject area test, if one is available in your vocational area of certification.
- Hold valid adult and child CPR and first aid certification with one of the MDE approved agencies [PDF].
- Sign a Statement of Civil/Criminal Convictions [PDF] and complete a background check using the Michigan Internet Criminal History Access Tool (ICHAT).
- Amy Eastman | Coordinator, Post-baccalaureate and Continuing Teacher Certification | 206 Porter Building | 734.487.1416 | email@example.com
- Konnie Kustron, J.D. | Professor | 122 Sill Hall | 734.487.1161 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Helpful Links:
- Michigan Occupational Competency Assessment Center (MOCAC)
- Standard CTE Vocational Work Experience Standards [PDF]
- Career and Technical Education Authorizations [PDF]
- MDE List of State Recognized CTE CIP Codes [PDF]
- Michigan Online Education Certification System (MOECS)
- Interim Occupational Certificate Renewal [PDF]
- Progressing to the Occupational Education Certificate [PDF]
- Occupational Education Certificate Renewal [PDF]