The mission of the Center of Race and Ethnicity is to cultivate and model a safe, inclusive, socially just environment for all members of the Eastern Michigan community. We do this by celebrating historically underrepresented populations and providing opportunities for cultural exploration, dialogue, personal reflection, student org advising and leadership development. We empower people to explore social change through examining the interconnectedness of culture and identity, educating themselves and engaging others.
Our vision for the future captures our aspirations and hopes for an inclusive socially just campus. Our vision is designed to challenge and help us become the best organization that supports student growth and development. We will:
- Help students engage and treat everyone in a respectful, responsive and socially just manner.
- Create an environment that acknowledges a diversity of cultural identities and fosters a sense of belonging to incorporate student input into programmatic and policy decisions.
- Increase our outreach of support and expertise to underrepresented students through cultural and identity centered student organization advising and student leadership development.
- Develop, in collaboration with other campus partners, initiatives to help students transition and matriculate towards graduation.
- Identify and strengthen a responsive multi-tiered cultural curriculum to prepare student to become active global citizens to lead our emerging world community.
- Promote campaigns that exhibits integrity and advocacy in support of justice and equality to improve our campus climate for students, faculty, staff and allies at Eastern Michigan University.
- Be known as a key place for expanding and supporting transformative educational experiences around issues of race, identity, multiculturalism and social justice.
- Be a vibrant, welcoming place for community building.