Gathering Resources to Educate about our Environment and Nature
The Mean, GREEN, Environmental Team!
Gathering Resources to Educate about our Environment and Nature (GREEN) is a student organization working to provide educational, interactive, and environmentally-beneficial opportunities for Eastern Michigan University and the surrounding community.
The Giving Garden
The Giving Garden is a sustainable, campus community garden partnered with GREEN where students, staff, faculty, and Ypsilanti residents can rent plots and garden throughout the year. The Giving Garden’s mission is to empower individuals through gardening and upholding five guiding principles: sustainability, organic agriculture, community and place, education and respect. The Giving Garden provides volunteer opportunities and hosts community events throughout the year.
- 24 Westview St, Ypsilanti (between Westview campus apartments and the baseball fields)
- Inquire about involvement at: [email protected]
- Reducing paper waste
- Reducing energy consumption
- Promoting recycling programs for the “big 4” (paper, plastic, aluminum and glass)
- Promoting recycling for E-waste (batteries, light bulbs, computers, etc.) at the annual Hazardous waste drop-off and on campus drop-off sites!
In the Community:
- Cleaning up local parks (Riverside and Frog Island Parks)
- Beautifying local parks (Luna Lake Restoration Project)
- Promoting smart storm water management practices
- Keeping our rivers, streams and lakes clean with the Huron River Watershed Council
- Planting trees with Greening of Detroit
- Promoting environmental education at the Ypsilanti Heritage Festival Green Tent every August!
On a National Level
- Encouraging and helping members write to their representative(s) on important issues
GREEN's Organization Partnerships
The following are organizations GREEN has worked with, is working with, or intends to work with in the near future.
The Greening of Detroit - The Greening of Detroit exists to improve the quality of life in Detroit by guiding and inspiring the reforestation of Detroit's neighborhoods, boulevards, and parks through tree planting projects and educational programs.
Growing Hope - Helping people improve their lives and communities through gardening. Growing Hope fosters learning, improves nutrition, encourages self-reliance, and promotes positive community futures. Based in Washtenaw County, Michigan.
Huron River Watershed Council - The Huron River watershed council has vowed to protect the Huron river since 1965! They work toward changing attitudes, behaviors, and city governments to include the protection & rehabilitation of our treasured river! We participate in water monitoring events, bug collecting studies, water cleanups & much more!
Natural Area Preservation - NAP works to protect and restore Ann Arbor’s natural areas and to foster an environmental ethic among its citizens. This involves conducting plant and animal inventories, ecological monitoring and stewardship projects in Ann Arbor parks.
For More Information
Email: [email protected]
Or drop in: 346 EMU Student Center
Meet the GREEN Team
- Eric Robinson - President
- Katie King - Vice President
- Tiffany Taylor - Secretary
- Joshua DesMarais - Treasurer