Learning Beyond the Classroom
All undergraduate students at Eastern Michigan University are required to complete two Learning Beyond the Classroom (LBC) credits for their General Education requirements. Students can find more information about LBC requirements through General Education.
Students can fulfill one of their two required LBC credits by volunteering through VISION and complete the following:
- Group 2: Community Service, Citizenship and Leadership
- 20 Hours of meaningful service or leadership experience
- Cultural and academic activities
How to earn your LBC with VISION?
LBC credit for Group 2: Community Service, Citizenship and Leadership
- Complete our intake survey. Once the intake form is complete, a VISION representative will contact you to set up a time to met. At this meeting, they will help you find a couple of organizations that might be a good fit for you based on your skills, interests, and schedule along with tups on setting up a volunteer experience.
- Sign up for our email list, check the calendar on this site for volunteer opportunities, or volunteer with one of our community partners [PDF] on your own.
- Download and print the verification form [PDF] and obtain confirmation from volunteer coordinators at your site each time you volunteer.
- Turn in verification form to the VISION Volunteer Center when you complete 20 hours.
- Complete a brief, online exit survey.
To find out how many hours you've completed by volunteering with VISION, contact Becca Timmermans at 734.487.9611 or [email protected].
LBC credit for Group 3: Cultural and Academic Activities and Events
Sign in at any LBC-approved VISION events.