3D virtual tour of the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant
Take a virtual tour of the birthplace of the Ford Model T car, the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant is recognized as one of the most significant automotive heritage sites in the world! Built in 1904, this was Ford Motor Company’s first purpose-built factory.
Note: This activity is hosted on an external site not managed by EMU. Always practice safety online. Always get permission from a parent or legal guardian before sharing personal information online.
- Ford Models B, C, F, K, N, R, S, and T were assembled here.
- The Ford Model T was developed here, introduced in 1908 as a 1909 model.
- The first 12,000 Model Ts were assembled here and shipped out by railroad.
- Ford Motor Company relocated to its new Highland Park Plant in 1910, selling the Piquette building to Studebaker in 1911.
- Studebaker used it for automobile production until 1933.
- The building was occupied by Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company and Cadillac Overall Company until purchased by Heritage Investment Company in 1989.
- It was sold in 2000 to the Model-T Automotive Heritage Complex, Inc., (doing business as) the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant, that restored and now operates the historic site as a museum.
The Model-T Automotive Heritage Complex, Inc., (doing business as) the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant, was organized in 2000 as a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization for the purpose of preserving the Plant and keeping it from being demolished. Open year round as a Museum and education center, the plant now attracts visitors from around the world. It provides special programs and events for bus tours, families, and scores of people attending public and private events from car shows to weddings.
The Ford Piquette Avenue Plant (FPAP) is managed by a Board of Trustees and volunteer committees. The historic site is financially self-supported. It is not affiliated with Ford Motor Company or Ford Foundation.
The Ford Piquette Avenue Plant was dedicated as a Motor Cities National Heritage Area site in 1996. The Plant was placed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 2002 and listed as a Michigan State Historic Site in 2003. The FPAP site was deemed a U.S. Historic District Contributing Property in 2004 and declared a U.S. National Historic Landmark in 2006.