PURPOSE: To provide graduate students with financial assistance and practical training during their degree work, and to provide faculty with assistance in grading and research.
Types: The EMU-Graduate Assistantship Program Guidelines identifies several types of graduate assistantships. Among these are: departmental, minority, and college work-study. Department of Economics' assistantships are of the departmental type. For more information about the others, please contact the graduate school.
Availability:The number of graduate assistantships available per fiscal year (July 1 through June 30) in the Department of Economics is 4.5. Often half-time assistantships are granted so that as many as 9 students may work in a given semester. The number of assistantships available is usually less than the number of applicants, there is a limit of 2 one-academic year appointments per students
Qualifications: Two sets of qualifications are required.
A. Graduate School Requirements:
- The applicant must hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, and have full or conditional admission to an academic department's degree program.
- The applicant must possess an undergraduate grade point average equal to the average of students admitted to the college of Arts & Sciences, or a graduate grade point average of at least 3.0.
- Students must register for a minimum of 6 credit hours for each semester in which they receive a graduate assistantship appointment (3 credit hours for spring or summer appointments). During their final semester they may carry fewer than 6 hours provided they are registered for at least one graduate level course and they write a request to the Associate Dean of the Graduate School.
- International students should normally be in residence on the EMU campus for at least one semester of study before being considered for departmental GA positions, or be available for a personal interview before residing on campus.
B. Department's Requirements:
- Student must have completed ECO 301, 302 and 310 (or their equivalent) with minimum grades of B. The student should also have completed ECO 415 with a minimum grade of B, or at least have a reasonable knowledge of computer technology.
- Two letters of recommendation from college or university faculty members and/or administrators who are familiar with the student and his/her academic achievements.
C. International Student Application:
In addition to the requirements in (A) and (B), foreign students must also have satisfactory proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Contact the graduate school for a Graduate Assistantship Program Application Form. Complete and return this application to the graduate school.
- Graduate school processes the application and sends a copy to the department.
- The department reviews the applications according to GPA, letters of recommendation, etc., and makes the hiring decision. (See the criteria on the next page.)
- Appointments are generally made for one semester at a time.
Appointment Begins GA Applications at Graduate School Appointment From Department
Fall April 1 July 1 | Winter October 1 December 1 | Spring March 1 April 1
Criteria for Hiring New Graduate Assistants (GA's):
- Academic performance as indicated by undergraduate (and if available, graduate) grade transcript and by letters of recommendation.
- Potential as a graduate assistant as indicated by letters of recommendation.
- Previous experience as research assistant and/or familiarity with computers and software programs.
Criteria for Rehiring Graduate Assistants for the Winter that were Working during the Fall.
- Academic performance as indicated by grades and class rank in graduate courses during the fall.
- Performance as a graduate assistant as indicated by reports from the people the GA works for during the fall.
The director of graduate programs will collect the information in 1 and 2 from the various faculty.
Criteria for Rehiring Graduate Assistants for the Fall that were initially Hired in a Previous Semester.
The same criteria as for hiring a new graduate assistant.