Commitment to Protecting our Community
As members of the Eastern Michigan University community, each of us share in the responsibility to limit the spread of COVID-19. We’re all in this together, and we want to stay safe together. We ask each member of our community to make the following commitment.
As a community and as individuals, we will follow on-campus procedures and protocols designed to stop the spread.
We will complete EMU’s daily screening for possible COVID-19 symptoms and exposure every day before coming to campus. We will honestly disclose any and all symptoms of illness and exposure to the disease after having been in close contact with someone who has it.
We will promptly disclose to EMU’s Dean of Students and Assistant Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs at [email protected] if we test positive for COVID-19.
We will read and follow the procedures and precautions the University provides regarding COVID-19 and the University’s ongoing effort to eradicate transmission of the virus on our campus.
- Practice physical distancing (the wingspan of an Eagle is 6 feet!);
- Practice good hand washing (20 seconds minimum!) or, when soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer;
- Wear face coverings as required ;
- Cover coughs and sneezes appropriately (use an elbow, not a hand, and keep a face covering on!);
- Follow directional signs telling us where to enter and exit buildings, and how to get around;
- Check-in at any screening desks that are located in any University building we enter;
- Stay home when we are feeling sick;
- Follow any enhanced cleaning procedures we encounter; and
- Treat each other with respect and empathy.
Stopping the spread of COVID-19 requires active participation by all members of our EMU community. We understand that the University’s information and safety procedures will be updated.
Because these instructions are critical to the campus community's continued health, we understand that there will be consequences enforced by Human Resources, the Office of Wellness and Community Responsibility, and other appropriate departments, for people who do not follow these safety protocols.
We understand that by coming to campus, we may be in contact with people who are also at risk of community exposure to COVID-19, and that no list of restrictions, guidelines or practices will remove 100 percent of the risk of exposure to COVID-19. The virus can be transmitted by persons who are asymptomatic and before some people show signs of infection.
We understand that each of us plays a critical role in keeping everyone on campus safe and reducing the risk of exposure by following the practices outlined here.
We are #EMUSafe. We will work to minimize the spread of COVID-19, learn all we can, keep each other safe, and strengthen our community.