Safety and Health Specialist (SHS) – Construction Industry Concentration
Designed for safety professionals with at least five years of occupational safety and health experience in either construction or general industry, participants can earn a Specialist in Occupational Safety and Health certificate after successfully completing a minimum of nine courses, comprised of a minimum of 135 contact hours of training.
Participants must complete a minimum of five required and four elective courses that include a minimum of 135 contact hours of training through OTI Education Center*** and/or EMU courses to earn the Safety and Health Specialist (SHS) – Construction Industry Concentration certificate.
- Participants must complete the five required courses as listed below.
- Participants must complete a minimum of four elective courses as listed below.
- OSHA #510 Occupational Safety and Health Standards for Construction (26)
- OSHA #500 Trainer Course - Construction (26)
- OSHA #7500 Introduction to Safety and Health Management (7)
- OSHA #7505 Introduction to Incident (Accident) Investigation (14)
- OSHA #7405 Fall Hazard Awareness for the Construction Industry (5) or OSHA #3115 Fall Protection (18) or Fall Protection/Competent Person – Online (8)**
- OSHA #521 OSHA Guide to Industrial Hygiene (26) or Industrial Hygiene – Online (26)**
- OSHA #2015 Hazardous Materials (26) or Hazardous Materials - Online (26)**
- OSHA #2055 Cranes in Construction (22.5)
- OSHA #2225 Respiratory Protection (26)
- OSHA #7300 Understanding OSHA’s Permit-Required Confined Space Standard (7)
or OSHA #2264 Permit-Required Confined Space Entry (20) or Permit Required Confined Spaces – Online (20)**
- OSHA #3095 Electrical Standards (26)
- OSHA #7410 Managing Excavation Hazards (6.5) or OSHA #3015 Evacuation, Trenching and Soil Mechanics (20) or Trenching and Excavation Qualified Person (8)
- OSHA #7105 Evacuation and Emergency Planning (4)
- OSHA #7110 Safe Bolting: Principles and Practices (7)
- OSHA #7205 Health Hazard Awareness (6)
- OSHA #7400 Noise in the Construction Industry (5.5)
- OSHA #7415 Construction Industry Requirements (Major Hazards and Prevention) (12)
- OSHA #7845 Recordkeeping Rule Seminar (4)
- Protection from Crystalline Silica (8) or Protecting Construction Workers from Silica (8)
*Enroll as a certificate program member ($50 membership fee) to receive a 10% discount on each course in your program.
**Online offerings are not official OSHA numbered courses and may not apply to all certificates.
*** Certificates must be completed within five years; courses completed more than five years ago may not be applied toward the certificate. You may transfer up to two OSHA numbered courses from another OTI Education Center for this certificate. Please include course certificates with your completed course checklist when requesting your Safety and Health Specialist (SHS) – Construction Concentration certificate.
Contact [email protected]u to enroll as a certificate program member or receive an application for a completed certificate.