For more than a decade, Professional Programs and Training (PPAT) has worked with the Eastern Michigan University School of Social Work to provide post-degree courses and programs for social workers. Every licensed social worker is required to complete 45 hours of continuing education within a 3-year period that includes five (5) hours in ethics, two (2) hours in pain and pain symptom management, and two (2) hours of human trafficking.
Open Enrollment Classes
Professionial programs and symposiums in topics of interest to social work professionals are available throughout the year. Taught by professors and lecturers from the School of Social Work, our instructors are advocates for social change and committed to sharing their experience and resources with class participants. Join us on campus to learn more about these topics and complete your continuing education requirements.
Free and Convenient Parking
Parking is close by and each participant receives a parking voucher to use when exiting our pay lot.
- Emotion Focused Practice (6 hours)
- Cognitive and Emotional Conditions with Older Adults (3 hours)
- Hidden Behind the Obvious: Topics of Human Trafficking Seldom Talked About (6 hours)
- Principles of Advocacy Practice (3 hours)
- Understanding Trauma Reactive Anger and Violence in Adolescents (6 hours)
- Disabilities in the Criminal Justice System: Solution-Focused Practice (6 hours)
- Making Youth Matter: Mentoring and Interrupting the School to Prison Pipeline (3 hours)
- Supporting Individuals with ASDs: Strategies for Real World Application (6 hours)
- Policy 101 for Practitioners (3 hours)
- Ethics is Practice: Identification of Critical Ethical Challenges and a Framework for Decision Making (5 Ethics)
- Transitions: Grief, Loss, and Coping (6 hours)
Since 2008, PPAT has offered more than 75 relevant, social work courses covering pertinent topics such as human trafficking, ethics, trauma, autism spectrum disorders and pain management. We have provided more than 500 clinicians and school social worker professionals with skills that can be implemented the next day to their clients. All of our continuing education programs are approved by the Michigan Social Work Continuing Education Collaborative.