New Faculty and Lecturers
Make sure you complete all onboarding requirements from Human Resources.
Getting Started as a New Employee at EMU
What Will Be Provided
Your home department or college will help provide you with the following.
EID and NetID
- Parking pass and campus parking map [PDF]
- Keys and building access information
- Telephone instructions
- Office setup and Computer (provided for faculty and full-time lecturers)
- Protocol for contacting the Information Technology (IT) Technologist assigned to your building or program
- Classroom Technology—Classrooms across campus have been outfitted with technology allowing for a variety of modes of learning. There are instructions and a how-to video on using media carts, which can be found in many classrooms.
Textbook ordering procedure
Travel and absence procedures
Mailbox location and mail procedures
- What to do in cases of extreme weather and emergencies
- Eagle One Card—This is your official University ID card.
- My.emich—For accessing EMU's self-service portal and Emich email.
- Getting Help tab—An overview of the My.Emich Self-Service Portal.
The New Semester—Resources for Instructional Effectiveness and Student Success
Learn the management system for web enhancement of face-to-face courses, hybrid, and online course management. Administered by the Center for E-Learning at email@example.com with additional training and faculty support.
Learn how to navigate the Faculty Services tab in the My.emich Portal.
Class List Emailing
Use these instructions to more easily email the list of registered students.
Make an appointment with the Faculty Development Center (FDC) for an informational meeting and you need to do the following:
- Bring all your questions.
- Do a syllabus check-up [PDF].
- Scan and upload documents for classes.
- Check out books on teaching, learning, assessment, classroom management, and research.
- Request services.
- Get sporadic sanity checks and coaching as needed.
- Use our website to look for:
Policies and Campus Resources
Learn and share the EMU policies and campus resources with your students.
- Student Handbook
- Academic Policies
- Non-Academic Policies
- Code of Conduct
- University Policies
- Board of Regents Policies
- Academic Resources
- Non-Academic Resources
- University Writing Center
First Month on the Job—Get to know EMU
Test yourself with a website review. For example, start on the home page and locate:
- Your department's home page
- Organization chart for the University
- Office of Records and Registration's Grade Schedule
- Course Catalog
- What is your course description and how does the course fit into your student's program of study?
Other training to be completed in the first term
- Mandatory environment health and safety training (ask your Department/Program staff member for the scheduled trainings)
- Mandatory Sexual Harassment online training
- Optional professional development training from Human Resources
- Optional Human Subjects, Research Ethics training from ORDA
Tour the Campus
One of the best ways to get to know the campus and our students is by joining an Admissions tour. Admissions loves to have faculty come along for daily tours and Explore Eastern. Ask a colleague to lunch and include a visit to a new spot on campus such as:
- Dining Commons
- Eastern Eateries
- College of Business
- Meet your librarian
- EMU Librarian Subject Specialists List - Learn how to request materials for the collection
- Get good ideas (and some no-nos) for introducing students to library use
- Find out about access to University of Michigan Libraries and other collections
- Learn some tips for using GoogleMail email, calendar, and Google Drive.
- Academic Calendar (with holiday and break dates)
- Exam Calendar
- Music and Dance Calendar
- Theatre Calendar
- Arts Calendar
- Campus Life
- Convocation Center
Future Success—Tenure/Promotion/Advancement Information
- Dates of regularly scheduled meetings
- Evaluation Calendars
- Tenure/Promotion: Faculty
- EMU-AAUP Contract
- Department Evaluation Document (DED) and Department Input Document (DID)
- Promotion: Full-Time Lecturers
- FT-Lecturer EMUFT Contract
- Promotion: Part-Time Lecturers
- PT-Lecturer EMUFT Contract
- Advice on record-keeping for annual activity reports and tenure process
- Committee/Service options for the first year (tenure-track faculty)
- Plans for individual mentorship or update meetings
- Key deadlines for advancement, course changes, research or travel proposals, etc.
- To discuss with your Department Head, Departmental Personnel Committee, Mentor or Union Steward