New Faculty and Lecturers
*Important* make sure you complete all onboarding requirements from Human Resources
Getting Started as a new employee at EMU:
- Your home department/college will help provide you with the following:
- EID and NetID
- Parking pass and campus parking map
- Keys and building access information
- Telephone instructions
- Office setup and Computer (provided for faculty and full-time lecturers)
- Protocol for contacting the Information Technology (IT) Technologist assigned to your building or program
- Classroom needs
- Research/lab/materials/equipment needs
- Textbook ordering procedure
- Travel and absence procedures
- Photocopier procedures
- Mailbox location and mail procedures
- What to do in cases of extreme weather and emergencies
- Get your Eagle One Card - this is your official University ID card.
- eTraining Portal - for accessing required EMU training, online courses, and Books 24x7.
- My.Emich - for accessing EMU's self-service portal and Emich email.
- Getting Help tab - an overview of the My.Emich Self-Service Portal.
The New Semester - Resources for Instructional Effectiveness and Student Success:
- Canvas - Learning Management System for web enhancement of face-to-face courses, hybrid, and online course management. Administered by the Center for E-Learning at email@example.com with additional training and faculty support .
- Learn how to navigate the Faculty tab in the My.Emich Portal using the following quick reference guides:
- Class List Emailing - use these instructions to more easily email the list of registered students.
Make an appointment with the Faculty Development Center (FDC) for an informational meeting
- Bring all your questions
- Do a syllabus check-up
- Scan and upload documents for classes
- Check out books on teaching, learning, assessment, classroom management, and research
- Request services
- Get sporadic sanity checks and coaching as needed
- Visit the FDC website for
Learn and Share EMU Policies and Campus Resources with your students
- EMU Student Handbook
- Academic Policies
- Non-Academic Policies Code of Conduct
- University Policies
- EMU Board of Regents Policies
- Academic Resources Non-Academic Resources
First Month on the Job – Get to know EMU!
Test yourself with a website review. For example, start here, http://www.emich.edu/ and locate:
- Your department's home page
- Organization chart for the University
- Office of Records and Registration's Grade Schedule
- Course Catalog
- What is your course description and how does the course fit into your student's program of study?
Other training to be completed in the first term
- Mandatory environment health and safety training (ask your Department/Program staff member for the scheduled trainings)
- Mandatory Sexual Harassment online training
- Optional professional development training from Human Resources
- Optional Human Subjects, Research Ethics training from ORDA
Tour the Campus
One of the best ways to get to know the campus and our students is by joining an Admissions tour! Admissions loves to have faculty come along for daily tours and Explore Eastern. Ask a colleague to lunch and include a visit to a new spot on campus such as:
- Dining Commons
- Eastern Eateries
- College of Business (hint - very near some Ypsi lunch spots!)
- Meet Your Librarian
- EMU Librarian Subject Specialists List Learn how to request materials for the collection
- Get good ideas (and some no-nos) for introducing students to library use
- Find out about access to University of Michigan Libraries and other collections
- Learn some tips for using GoogleMail email, calendar, and Google Drive.
- Academic Calendar (with holiday and break dates)
- Exam Calendar
- Music and Dance Calendar
- Theatre Calendar
- Arts Calendar
- Campus Life
- Convocation Center
Future Success - Tenure/Promotion/Advancement Information
- Dates of regularly scheduled meetings
- Evaluation Calendars
- Tenure/Promotion: Faculty
- EMU-AAUP Contract
- Department Evaluation Document (DED) and Department Input Document (DID)
- Promotion: Full-Time Lecturers
- FT-Lecturer EMUFT Contract
- Promotion: Part-Time Lecturers
- PT-Lecturer EMUFT Contract
- Advice on record-keeping for annual activity reports and tenure process
- Committee/Service options for the first year (tenure-track faculty)
- Plans for individual mentorship or update meetings
- Key deadlines for advancement, course changes, research or travel proposals, etc.
- To discuss with your Department Head, Departmental Personnel Committee, Mentor or Union Steward
Learn About Ypsilanti, Mich.