Diversity and Inclusion
One of Eastern Michigan University's Core Values is Inclusiveness: creating an environment that supports, represents, embraces, and engages members of diverse groups and identities. Some of the ways EMU demonstrates this value are included below.
The Faculty Development Center has partnered with a master's student in the College of Business' MSHROD Program to create a list of faculty resources related to diversity and inclusion across the United States. Click on the link above to learn more about this database.
The Department of Diversity and Community Involvement (DCI) is a resource center for students to find a place of belonging on campus. DCI is comprised of four offices:
- The Center for Multicultural Affairs (CMA)
- The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Resource Center (LGBTRC)
- The VISION Center (VISION)
- The Women's Resource Center (WRC)
The Office of Diversity and Affirmative Action provides programming and resources to faculty, staff, and students to create a safe and welcoming environment for a diverse population. The office provides a resource page, investigates discrimination complaints, and reports on Eastern's affirmative action goals.
President James Smith creates the Commission on Diversity and Inclusion. Below are recent updates of the Commission's activities.
- 11/27/17: Preliminary Recommendations to the Commission Charge
- 8/28/17: Statement on recent events in Charlottesville, Virginia
- 2/6/17: Statement from the Commission
- 11/1/16: creation of President's Commission on Diversity and Inclusion