Requirements for Aid
To check your outstanding requirements, login to your my.emich account and follow the steps below.
- Click on the Student tab
- Follow each of these steps:
- Financial Aid
- Select Financial Aid Year
- Student Requirements
If you're selected for verification, you'll be notified via email to your my.emich and a letter mailed to your permanent address. You must provide documentation to prove the accuracy of certain items reported on the FAFSA before your aid is disbursed. Documentation may include, but is not limited to:
- Verification worksheet
- IRS tax return transcripts
- Verification of non-filing letter from the IRS
- W-2 forms from employer
- Proof of high school completion
- Proof of identity and statement of educational purpose
- Documentation of legal guardianship, orphan or ward of the court status
If you're selected for verification, your financial aid is on hold until your outstanding requirements are received and your FAFSA has been reviewed for accuracy. The FAFSA verification process is detailed and can be time consuming. It is our goal to review submitted documents within two weeks of receipt, however, as the beginning of the semester draws closer, this goal becomes more difficult to meet. Since federal grants and loans cannot disburse until verification is complete, it is imperative that you take immediate action to submit all of your requirements.
If you fail to submit your requirements by the dates below, our office cannot guarantee prompt disbursement of your financial aid and you will be responsible for any late payment fees charged to your student bill. If the dates below have already passed, submit your documentation immediately.
- Summer 2018: April 1, 2018
- Fall 2018: June 1, 2018
- Winter 2019: November 1, 2018
Timeframes and Deadlines
Verification must be completed before disbursement of federal financial aid. However, verification doesn't prevent packaging or loan origination.
You must submit all required documentation to our office for review by the earlier of 110 days after the your last date of enrollment for the 2017-18 award year or September 12, 2018.
These document submission deadlines give our office processing time to meet the federal verification deadlines that state that the institution must submit verification outcomes by the earlier of 120 days after the your last date of enrollment for the 2017-18 award year or September 22, 2018.
If you fail to provide documentation by the deadlines above, we won't be able to complete verification or pay you any Title IV financial aid for the academic year. If you're verified after your last date of enrollment, you may not be eligible for Title IV funds for other reasons. EMU provides you written and/or email communication bi-weekly regarding required documentation, as well as 24/7 on the emich portal and these communications provide suggested earlier dates by which to submit documentation.
- To download and print appropriate verification forms, go to our forms directory.
- Use blue or black ink to complete all forms.
- Make sure all forms have been completed in their entirety and signed with a written signature - electronic signatures are not acceptable per federal regulations.
- Make sure your student number (i.e. E00XXXXXX) is included on every page you submit.
- You can submit your verification requirements via mail, fax, in person or email to email@example.com.
Authorization to Pay
The Authorization to Pay form is available for download in pdf format from Student Business Services. It allows Title IV funds (federal loans, grants, etc.) to pay any charge on the student account from the current semester rather than only educational charges.
Submit the completed form to Student Business Services on campus at 201 Pierce Hall Ypsilanti, MI 48197 or via mail.