Office of Financial Aid Office of Financial Aid

Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is gift assistance that is funded and awarded by the federal government.

Recipients must be enrolled in an undergraduate program leading to an associate's or first bachelor's degree and meet all other eligibility criteria required for receipt of federal assistance, including Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

To receive a Pell Grant, an eligible student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) must be less than or equal to the maximum figure established by the federal government for the academic year. EFC is determined from the information reported on the FAFSA.

Application Process

To apply for the Pell Grant you must:

  • Complete the FAFSA. You will automatically be considered for this award if you qualify based on your EFC once Eastern Michigan University has received your FAFSA information.
  • List Eastern Michigan University school code (#002259) on the FAFSA.
How much will I receive?

The maximum Federal Pell Grant award for full-time students may vary from year to year. Awards for students enrolled less than full-time will be prorated.

What do I need to do to keep my award?

The Federal Pell Grant is a Title IV federal financial aid program, which requires that you meet all eligibility criteria, including Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), for receipt of federal aid. Please note that:

  • If your FAFSA information changes as a result of verification, your award may also change.
  • You are no longer eligible for the Pell Grant once you have earned your first bachelor's degree.
  • Effective 2012-2013 all students will be limited to 12 full time semesters of Pell Grant eligibility. Previously, federal regulations allowed a student to receive the grant for 18 semesters.