Office of Financial Aid Office of Financial Aid

Special Circumstance Appeal

When completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), students (and their families) are asked to provide income and asset information for the most recent tax year. The FAFSA does not take into consideration the current income and any loss of income since the tax year reported on the FAFSA. Federal regulations allow students and families with special circumstances to document any decrease in income for the current year so that the Office of Financial Aid may reevaluate students' financial aid awards.

Students and families with one of the following special circumstances affecting their households may be eligible to complete a Special Circumstance Appeal:

  • Loss of job
  • Reduction in pay
  • Roth IRA rollover (from traditional IRA to Roth IRA)
  • Loss of untaxed income
  • Loss of income due to disability
  • Separation or divorce
  • Death of a parent or spouse
  • Current year income will be lower than previous tax year
How to appeal:
  • Complete and submit your FAFSA
  • Complete the Special Circumstance form and submit all required documentation