1. Sign In
2. Select a Term
3. Verify Home Address
4. Cell Phone
6. Select a Hall
7. Select a Meal Plan
8. Assignment Preferences
9. Optional Survey
10. Accept the Terms
Contract Terms and Conditions
This is your Housing and Dining contract. If you decide to live on-campus, you are responsible for knowing the terms of the contract listed below. Do not sign the contract until you have read and are fully aware of all the terms and conditions that are presented and you are prepared to meet the financial obligations. Knowledge and compliance with the information contained in the contract is each student's responsibility. Once you agree to the contract terms and conditions, you may request a space for the 2014 Winter semester. No guarantees can be made for a specific hall or type of room.
This contract outlines the terms and conditions upon which room and board in Eastern Michigan University residence halls is leased to a person (herein called RESIDENT) by the University's Board of Regents, being the constitutional and statutory board of control of Eastern Michigan University (herein called UNIVERSITY). The contract is for the entire 2014 Winter semester.
I. FEES AND CONTRACT TERMINATION
1. $200 prepayment paid to the UNIVERSITY is required to accompany this contract to reserve a room.
2. The RESIDENT may cancel this contract prior to moving into the residence halls by submitting a cancellation, in writing only, to the Residence Life/Residential Services Office. Written cancellation must be sent via the EMU e-mail account to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cancellation of the contract, regardless of the reason, will result in a forfeiture of the prepayment determined by the date the written cancellation is received in the Residence Life/Residential Services Office according to the following schedule:
Refund of monies will only be made to students who do not have any balance owing to the university. In all other cases, a credit for the appropriate amount will be applied to the student's account.
5. The terms of this agreement are for the entire 2014 Winter semester. In the event that the RESIDENT will no longer be an enrolled student, the RESIDENT must apply for a contract release with the Area Complex Director.
6. The contract will NOT be terminated for an enrolled RESIDENT to move to a private home, off campus housing, fraternity/sorority house, or to commute during the period of this agreement.
8. Once a RESIDENT has been given an approved release to move out of the residence hall, the contract will terminate and the RESIDENT shall no longer be entitled to any services provided for in this agreement, including meals.
10. It is considered a violation of this contract to move from an assigned room to another room without HOUSING approval and such a breach will be subject to a $50.00 liquidated damage fee. Not properly checking out of the hall when the RESIDENT leaves, will result in a $50.00 Improper Check-out Fee.
11. The UNIVERSITY reserves the right to terminate this contract and take possession of a room for violation of this contract or UNIVERSITY policies or regulations.
12. The UNIVERSITY reserves the right, when necessary, to remove a RESIDENT's personal items from the room and store them for a limited time period if it is determined that RESIDENT has vacated the room and does not intend to return.
II. CONDITIONS OF ASSIGNMENT
13. The UNIVERSITY requires that RESIDENT be enrolled and remain enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours for undergrad students or three (3) credit hours for graduate students for the duration of the semester. The UNIVERSITY reserves the right to terminate the contract for any RESIDENT that falls below the required credit hour minimum.
14. Submission of this contract does NOT guarantee accommodation in the residence halls if the contract and prepayment are received after capacity in the halls has been reached.
15. The UNIVERSITY does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or ethnic background, in the assignment of residence hall rooms.
18. The UNIVERSITY reserves the right to reassign a confirmed room if RESIDENT has not yet moved in after three days of the official move-in date.
19. Should a vacancy occur throughout the year, regardless of the reason, in a double room assignment, the remaining RESIDENT agrees to either be reassigned to another room or pay the increased room rate.
20. At the end of the semester, RESIDENTS are required to vacate the residence hall by 3:00 p.m. the day following their last scheduled exam or by closing, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.
21. The room and board rate will not be pro-rated if the RESIDENT moves out during the last two weeks of the semester.
III. GENERAL CONDITIONS
22. The RESIDENT agrees to comply with the rules and regulations which may be adopted by the UNIVERSITY for the residence hall program and with the terms of the UNIVERSITY'S Student Code of Conduct and the Guide to Campus Living, located on the Housing website at http://www.emich.edu/housing.
23. No RESIDENT shall sublet or assign his or her assignment to another person. No unauthorized persons are allowed to reside in the rooms. No pets are permitted in the residence halls.
24. The RESIDENT shall not use the residence hall rooms or public areas in a manner which is detrimental to the best INTEREST and welfare of the hall community. No commercial sales or services are permitted in either the RESIDENT's room or in any public areas.
25. The RESIDENT is prohibited from keeping firearms, weapons, gunpowder, or other materials or substances which might endanger the health or safety of any person in the residence halls.
26. Air conditioners are not permitted in the residence halls.
27. The UNIVERSITY reserves the right to enter and inspect rooms for pest control, health, maintenance and security reasons, or to remove University property, and reassign rooms as necessary. RESIDENT agrees to follow directives that support these functions.
28. The UNIVERSITY is not responsible for the loss of or damage to any personal property of the RESIDENT or their guests. RESIDENT is encouraged to insure their own personal property. The UNIVERSITY does not provide insurance for the loss of or damage to a RESIDENT's or any guest's personal property.
29. The RESIDENT shall keep the leased premises and public areas clean and free from dirt, garbage and trash, and is to be responsible for repair or replacement of any item damaged because of the acts or omissions of the RESIDENT or the RESIDENT's guest, invitee or agents. Any necessary repairs or replacements will be made by the UNIVERSITY and be paid for by the RESIDENT or, in the case of public-area damage, by the RESIDENTS of the community.
30. The agreement and times set forth for performance of this agreement are subject to change due to strikes, lockout or other labor disputes and disorders which may affect the health or safety of students or affect the educational function of the institution. The UNIVERSITY reserves the right to offer these room and board services at different dates and times, provided that when services are offered, the dates will be in conformity with the purpose for which the RESIDENT entered into the agreement.
31. The UNIVERSITY reserves the right to immediately terminate the contract for any RESIDENT who is not officially enrolled in classes as of the first day of class.
32. The residence halls are designated as smoke-free. No smoking is permitted anywhere within the halls.
IV. DINING PLANS
A. A meal plan is required for all RESIDENTS (excluding the Village).
B. To change the meal plan, a Dining Service amendment must be completed and approved.
C. No changes to the meal plan will be accepted after January 31, 2014 for the winter semester.
D. Meal plans are non-refundable and must be used within the contract period.