Inviting an International Scholar

Often, faculty or departments will receive requests from scholars from another country who would like to continue studying and research along with an EMU faculty member.  Also, EMU faculty members may know a colleague in another country whom they'd like to invite to work more closely together.

CAS has an established procedure for inviting international scholars, who are not Fulbright Scholars. 

  1. Be sure that the Head of your department is aware of, and agrees to, the invitation.
  2. Download and complete the Request for DS-2019; note that the department completes one document, and the scholar completes the other.
  3. Email the Office of the Dean with the completed request forms for DS-2019, the scholar's CV, a scan of the Visiting Scholar's passport photo page, a scan of any letter documenting funding sources, and a description of the scholar's project while at EMU.
  4. The packet will be forwarded to the Associate Vice President for Graduate Studies and Research, and the Provost with a cover letter. Once final approval is given by the Provost, AHR will send an EID and the packet to Esther Gunel, Director of the Office of International Students. When the DS-2019 is ready, it will be express-mailed to the Visiting Scholar, who will use that document to obtain a visa.
  5. As of January 5, 2015, international visitors on J visas are required to provide evidence of English proficiency.  This need not be in the form of a test score.  EMU offers the alternative of a Skype interview with the faculty member hosting the scholar, an ESL professional from EMU, and the scholar at a mutually agreed-upon time.  The purpose of the federal mandate is for both the scholar and EMU to be aware of any language support the scholar may need.
  6. Once approved for a visa, Visiting Scholars should notify the sponsoring department and/or faculty of the date of their arrival so that airport pick-up and EMU privileges such as Rec/IM, and library access can be arranged. Visiting Scholars will be provided a my.emich email account.  
  7. Visiting Scholars often need housing. Most Visiting Scholars prefer to live on campus because of a lack of transportation. Therefore, the Head of the host department will make housing arrangements, in collaboration with the office of Housing and Residence Life. If no such campus arrangement is possible, the host department must arrange for off-campus housing for the visiting scholar, keeping the visiting scholar fully informed of costs associated with off-campus housing.
  8. Visiting Scholars must pay for EMU health insurance.