Personal devices are not owned or supplied by EMU. Such devices could be a laptop computer, a solid state flash drive, a tablet computer, a smart phone, a digital printer or scanner, and more.
- Administrator copies work files to their personal flash drive to use on their personal home computer outside of regular working hours
- Faculty member creates spreadsheet on their own computer with student grade information so they can continue working at home over a weekend
- It is critically important that any sensitive data copied or created on a personal device be encrypted to avoid or lessen damage from the potential theft of the data or the device itself.
Please note: All Board of Regents and I.T. policies listed below are now available in EMU PolicyTech.
- Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources Policy: 3.1
- Secure Networked Devices Policy: 6.1
- Personal and Private Folder Policy: 7.3.P.2
- Acceptable Encryption Policy: 8.2
- Remote Access Policy: 8.3
- VPN Connection Policy: 8.4
- Requesting VPN Access Policy - EMU Employees: 8.4.P.1
- Sponsoring VPN Access for Third Party Vendor/Independent Contractors Policy: 8.4.P.2
- Third Party Vendor Sponsor Agreement Policy: 8.4.F.2
- Acceptable Use Policy
- Vulnerability Scanning and Reporting Policy: 8.8
- Electronic Media Sanitation and Disposal Policy: 8.9
- Data Encryption Policy: 8.10
- Security Configuration Standards for non-IT Managed Systems Policy: 8.11
- Desktop and Laptop Security Policy: 8.14
- Desktop and Laptop Standard Policy: 8.14
- Information Security Program Policy: 8.16
- Desktop Backup
Using Personal Devices
The permitted (Yes), the not permitted (No), and those needing to contact I.T. (Contact I.T.) are listed in three columns in the matrix below.
- Attorney/Client Privilege
- Student Education Records (FERPA)
Other Sensitive University Data
- All Other Research Data
- I.T. Security Information
- Private Personal Information
- Protected Health Information (HIPAA)
- Credit Card Information (PCI)
- Social Security Numbers
- Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA)
- Sensitive Human Subject Research
- Student Loan Application Information (GLBA)
Note: Don't see what you need? Email the I.T. Security Team at [email protected].