Virtru Email Encryption
What is Virtru?
Virtru is a leading email and file encryption provider that will help us protect sensitive information to ensure our organization stays safe and compliant with various regulations.
What are the benefits?
With Virtru, you’re able to send and read encrypted messages and attachments without ever leaving your inbox—and without your recipients downloading any software or creating any passwords. In addition to its ease of use, it will also allow our organization to:
- Meet compliance requirements and avoid potential penalties.
- Reduce the risk of data breaches.
- Have the freedom to collaborate with confidence and productively share data in the cloud.
- Maintain control of our data, and see who’s accessing and interacting with it.
Suggested Uses for Virtru Across the University:
Below are some suggestions for various University areas on when using Virtru might be helpful:
- Confidential Email Discussions
- Board Communications
- Sharing Sensitive Data with Employees
- Strategic Plans
- Sensitive Financial Aid Info
- Sensitive Admissions Information
- Patient Health Info
- Billing and Payment Details
- Study/Research Data
- Patient Onboarding
- Sensitive Employees Communications
- Legal Paperwork for Onboarding
- Benefits Information
- Recruiting Process
- Security Vulnerabilities and Tests
- Vendor Information
- Sensitive Intellectual Property
- Protected Communication
How do I get Virtru?
Note: I.T. recommends using Chrome for the best user experience.
How do I use Virtru?
- Send a Virtru-Encrypted Email in Gmail.
- Use this email template to alert any recipients you share sensitive data with that you’ll be using Virtru to send those emails.
- Learn how to disable forwarding of Virtru encrypted messages/files.
- Learn how to set an expiration date for Virtru encrypted messages/files.
- Learn how to watermark virtru encrypted files.
- Learn how to enable persistent file protection (PFP) in Virtru encrypted messages/files.
- Visit the Virtru for Users section of their Support Page to access detailed help articles.
- Learn how to install the Virtru Mobile App for iOS or Android.
Note: Virtru is not recommended for sending encrypted messages to email lists. I.T. recommends sending encrypted messages to individual email addresses rather than to email lists.