Monday, January 21, 2019, 11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
The 33rd Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. President's Luncheon will take place on Martin Luther King Day, Monday, January 21, 2019 in the EMU Student Center Grand Ballroom. Doors open at 11 a.m. with lunch beginning at 11:30 a.m. Our distinguished keynote speaker will be Keith Boykin, CNN political commentator and NYT bestselling author. He will give brief remarks at the luncheon with his keynote address following.
Ticket prices for the 2019 MLK Luncheon are $15 for students (student ID required) and $30 for faculty, staff and community members. Tables of eight can be purchased October 1 through October 26. Individual ticket sales will be open on October 29 and run though MLK day. Tickets may be purchased in-person, by phone or online as follows:
- EMU Convocation Center Ticket Office: Monday–Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Closed December 21, 2018–Jan. 1, 2019)
- EMU Student Center Ticket Office: Monday–Friday, 5 to 9 p.m. (Closed December 14, 2018–January 6, 2019)
- Call 734.487.2282, Monday–Friday, 10 a.m.–9 p.m. ($4 processing fee per order)
- Go to the EMU Ticket website (Note: $3.50 per ticket fee and $1.50 processing fee per order will be charged)
Complimentary Student Ticket
- Complimentary student tickets sponsored by EMU Student Government can be reserved through the Center for Multicultural Affairs until noon on January 16 or tickets are gone.
There is a maximum purchase of eight tickets per order. Tables seat eight people. If you are purchasing a table, please consider making a $1,000 donation to the MLK Legacy Fund to support future programming and student scholarships.
Student Masters of Ceremonies
The Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Planning Committee annually selects two students to serve as the 2019 MLK President’s Luncheon Masters of Ceremonies. The selected students will serve as the official hosts for one of EMU’s most recognized events. They will emcee before an audience of over 500 students, faculty, staff and community members, while enjoying lunch as the guest of President James M. Smith.
Students must possess the following:
- Good academic standing with a GPA of 2.8 or higher
- Involvement within the EMU and surrounding community
- A friendly disposition
- Excellent oral skills and stage presence
- TruEMU spirit
The students selected to serve as the 2019 MLK President’s Luncheon emcees are:
Victoria Fields is a senior studying communications and sports management and is a TRIO McNair Scholar. As an undergraduate research scholar, she has dedicated her research to highlight the injustices that racial and gender minorities face in society by examining the potential educational challenges that children affected by the Flint water crisis may experience.
Shayler Barnes Jr.
Shayler Barnes Jr. is a senior majoring in media studies and journalism. He currently serves as the president of the EMU Black Student Union. As a student leader, he has challenged students, faculty and staff to examine racial disparities within our own campus culture.
For More Information
Regarding tickets for the luncheon, contact any of the following individuals: