Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
Terrence J. Roberts
The 34th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. President's Luncheon will take place on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Monday, January 20, 2020 in the EMU Student Center Grand Ballroom. Doors open at 11 a.m. with lunch beginning at 11:30 a.m. Our distinguished keynote speaker will be Terrence J. Roberts, one of the 'Little Rock Nine' who helped desegregate Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1957. Dr. Roberts will give brief comments at the luncheon and his keynote address will follow at 2 p.m. in the Student Center Auditorium.
Ticket prices for the 2020 MLK Luncheon are $15 for students (student ID required) and $30 for faculty, staff and community members. Tables of eight ONLY can be purchased by departments and groups November 1 through November 15, 2019 by calling Ron at 734.487.0187. Individual ticket sales will be open on November 18, 2019 and run though MLK day, as tickets remain available. Tickets may be purchased in-person, by phone or online as follows:
- EMU Convocation Center Ticket Office: Monday–Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Closed November 27 - December 1, 2019 and December 21, 2019–January 1, 2020)
- EMU Student Center Ticket Office: Monday–Friday, 5 to 9 p.m. (Closed November 27 - December 1, 2019 and December 13, 2019 - January 8, 2020)
- Call 734.487.2282, Monday–Friday, 10 a.m.–9 p.m. ($4 processing fee per order)
- Go to the EMU Ticket website (Note: $3.50 per ticket fee and $1.50 processing fee per order will be charged)
For ticket availability on the day of the President's luncheon, January 20, 2020, call 734.487.2282 or go to the Student Center ticket office beginning at 10 a.m.
Meal preference (meat or veggie) must be provided at the time the tickets are purchased and the order is processed.
There is a maximum purchase of eight (8) tickets per order. Tables seat eight people. If you are purchasing a table, please consider making a $1,000 donation to the MLK Legacy Fund to support future programming and student scholarships.
Complimentary Student Tickets
- Complimentary student tickets sponsored by EMU Student Government can be reserved through the Center of Race and Ethnicity,located in 356 Student Center until noon on January 17 or tickets are gone. For information call 734.487.2377 or email at email@example.com.
For more information on general luncheon tickets, contact Ron Reid at 734.487.0187 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Masters of Ceremonies
The Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Planning Committee will select two students to serve as the 2020 MLK President’s Luncheon Masters of Ceremonies. The selected students will serve as the official hosts for one of EMU’s most recognized events. They will emcee before an audience of over 500 students, faculty, staff and community members, while enjoying lunch as the guest of President James M. Smith.
Students must possess the following:
- Good academic standing with a GPA of 2.8 or higher
- Involvement within the EMU and surrounding community
- A friendly disposition
- Excellent oral skills and stage presence
- TruEMU spirit
The students selected to serve as the 2020 MLK President’s Luncheon emcees will be announced by December 13, 2019.
Application Deadline: Friday, November 22, 2019 by 11:59 p.m.
Submit MLK, Jr. Celebration Emcee Application, 250 - 500 word essay, and letter of recommendation to: Dr. Doris Fields; email@example.com or 101C Boone Hall. Click on the MLK "Get Involved" link for further information and application.
For More Information
MLK Celebration events: