Opening Celebration Reception and Student Art Showcase
Thursday, January 17, 2019
4:30–6 p.m., 310A/B Student Center
The MLK Celebration Planning Committee is commissioning artwork from students that supports the 2019 MLK Celebration theme of: We The People: Standing Against Injustice
Interested parties are invited to submit proposals of their art for review. The MLK Art Gallery Showcase Sub-Committee will consider artwork that in some way exemplifies, relates to, connects with, or informs our understanding of Dr. King’s legacy; in particular, how individuals and groups interpret Dr. King’s mission to improve the world through equality, peace and justice.
Selected art will be displayed in the 2019 MLK Celebration Kickoff Art Gallery Showcase at the Student Center on Thursday, January 17, 2018, following the Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemorative March.
The committee will accept up to 25 student pieces to display. Three students will be selected to each receive a $500 scholarship in recognition of their work.
Artwork must be ready for display by January 7, 2019. Please submit your proposal by December 17, 2018 at 11:59 pm. The following information is required for submission:
- A sketch of your idea, or a picture of completed work
- Name(s) and contact information for artist
- The connection to the spirit and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
All those submitting a proposal will be notified of their proposal submission status by December 14, 2018. Questions can be directed to the Art Gallery Showcase Co-Chairs, Eric Reed, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Mia Milton, email@example.com.
Important Dates Reminder
- December 7, 2018: Deadline for submission of art proposal – 11:59 p.m.
- January 7, 2019: Artwork must be complete and ready for display
- January 17, 2019: Art displayed at Kickoff Art Gallery Showcase