How to Apply to the Department of Dance
1. University Application
Prior to auditioning for the department, you much submit an online application to Eastern Michigan University. You must be accepted by the university to be considered for a departmental scholarship.
International students, please visit International Admissions for additional information and support.
2. School of Music and Dance Application
All prospective dance students must submit an undergraduate dance application to the School of Music and Dance at least seven days prior to the audition date.
3. Recommendation Forms
Dance applicants must solicit two recommendations using the dance recommendation form [PDF] prior to their audition date.
4. Audition Day
Special Auditions Note
During the academic year 2022-2023, EMU School of Music & Dance auditions will be offered with the choice of in-person or remote.
- In-person auditions will be held Friday, February 10, 2023.
- Remote auditions will be evaluated on January 14 and March 10, 2023. (No in-person auditions will be held on January 14 and March 10, 2023.)
Prospective students auditioning remotely should send a link to an unlisted YouTube video so dance faculty can review. The video should include:
Please clearly state your name, whether you want to major or minor in dance, and what year you are in school (new first year or transfer).
1) ballet barre exercises (only one side needed): Plies, tendus, degages, rond de jambe a terrre, frappe, adagio at barre, and grand battements.
2) ballet center exercises (only one side needed): adagio, one pirouette combination, one small jump combination, and one grande allegro.
3) a combination in another dance genre such as a jazz, lyrical, hip-hop or tap combination. Any dance genre is acceptable.
4) A solo in any dance genre of one minute in length.
All video links should be sent to [email protected]. Recommendation forms should be attached. Results will be sent one week after the video is received. Videos must be received by March 10, 2023 for scholarship consideration.
Official audition results are determined by the department head based on the recommendations of the dance faculty and are mailed to the applicant—normally within ten business days of the audition.
If you have questions concerning the dance application process, please contact Dr. Donald Babcock, admissions coordinator.