Welcome to the home page for academic advising.
We are committed to helping students navigate the, sometimes complex, educational pathways. This page is to help answer academic advising related questions. Remember that it is essential to have a firm grasp of the program's exact details for which you are enrolled. The advisor is available to help with specific uniqueness in your plan. Please use the below resources to educate yourself thoroughly before you set up an advising appointment. Please review the EMU Music & Dance Advising video playlist to view videos to help answer specific advising questions.
Common Advising Questions
Which course should I take next semester?
This question is best answered yourself depending on your academic program. Please use the Degree Frame found in the forms section (Undergraduate Advising) to help you set up your schedule.
I am getting an error message when I try to register
This is a common problem having to do with the details of your declared program. Please check your declared major. If your major is declared correctly, use an override form found in the forms section. If your major is not listed correctly, you will need to make sure you have permission to be in the desired degree. Please check with your applied teacher.
I want to change or declare my music major.
If your online transcript doesn't have your music or dance major correctly listed, your registration for courses could be affected with an error message. To fix this, please send an email to your advisor asking for the correction. Be sure to include your EID# and the major you should have. They'll send a request to Records, and notify you when the change is made.
How do I fill out the override form [PDF]?
Fill out the information and then seek permission from the professor. The professor must sign the form (a virtual signature is fine) then the form must be sent to Dr. Barrick, Director of the School of Music & Dance for approval. Please email the form with a short explanation as to why the override is necessary.
How do I set up an independent study with my favorite professor?
The first step is to schedule a meeting with the professor to see if they have the time available. Faculty are not compensated for this time but are often excited to help you pursue your interests. Next, you will need to fill out the Independent Study Contract found in the forms section. The student and supervising faculty need to sign it before it is sent to Dr. Johnson for approval.
I need a reminder on how to register for courses.
- Log into your my.emich account
- Select the Student tab at the top
- Select Registration
- Select look up classes
- Choose the semester for which you intend to register (i.e. Winter 2020)
- Find the subject of the course you need (i.e., MUSC, AMUS, MUED, MUEN, etc.) and select course search
- Click on view sections for the course number and title that corresponds with the class you need
- Find the section you would like and write down the CRN number to add the course later. Once you have the CRN numbers, go to my.emich, student tab, registration, and add or drop courses. At the bottom of this page, you will see boxes. Type CRNs into the boxes (one CRN per box).
- Click on submit changes, and the system will register you for your courses.
I need a reminder on how to find a course.
Use this step-by-step guide to find the courses you need:
- Go to the catalog website.
- Find your degree program listing (use search field or scroll through a list of "Academic Programs").
- Scroll down the program listing to see the required courses listed.
- Click on a course link.
- At the bottom of the pop-up window, find the links to offerings for that course.
- Choose the term you want and click the link, e.g., "Click here for Winter 2018 Course Offerings". Detailed course listings are given — note the five-digit CRN number for the section you want. Go to your my.emich page and register for the course you chose using the CRN number.
I am a new Graduate Student, what's next?
Upon admission to the School of Music and Dance, each student will consult with their major professor in planning a curriculum. Please review the course rotation, sample program of study, and other forms provided through the forms page in the Graduate Advising drop-down.
Use this step-by-step guide to find the courses you need:
- Click on the Master of Music catalog description.
- Read carefully, the program details.
- In the top left of the catalog description, you will see four boxes. Click the first that looks like a piece of paper. This will generate your degree planner. Use this tool and the Course Rotation guide found in the FORMS link to create a tentative program of study. This will allow you to envision your next several semesters of study.
- Follow the directions for above question number five to try to register for classes.
- If you get an error message, please follow the above question number two, likely you are not yet in the correct major. Please email [email protected] if the issue persists. It is not uncommon for this process to take a while. Please be patient, the graduate classes do not fill so there is no need to feel anxious about registering.
- Music & Dance Advising Blog - much more advising information here
- Student Advising Forms (Override, Recital, Degree Frames, etc.)
- Francine Parker Advising Center (for general university advising questions)
- Add or drop an individual course
- Troubleshooting registration errors
- General education questions
- Pre-or Co-Requisite questions
- Follow-up on Starfish concern
- School of Music & Dance student handbook- This is a vital document to read carefully
- Music Therapy student handbook
- Music and Dance Advising FAQ [PDF]
- International Students