How to Apply
All prospective students must submit an online application to Eastern Michigan University prior to auditioning for the school. Additionally, prospective students must be accepted by the university to be considered for a departmental scholarship. International students, please visit International Admissions for additional information and support.
School of Music & Dance Application
All prospective music students must submit an undergraduate music application or graduate music application to the School of Music & Dance at least seven days prior to the audition date. As part of this process, applicants will provide names and contact information for two recommenders.
During the academic year 2021-2022, EMU School of Music & Dance auditions will be offered with the choice of in-person or remote. If you chose to audition remotely, after you complete the audition application, send an email to Dr. Babcock expressing that you would like to audition remotely.
If you are auditioning remotely, create a video of your audition and post it as unlisted to YouTube. Send the link to the video to [email protected] no later than 1 day prior to your chosen audition date. Accompaniment for remote auditions (live or pre-recorded) is required for vocal auditions only. (Accompaniment will be provided for in-person vocal auditions.)
* The EMU School of Music & Dance will hold a special music audition day for the 2022-23 academic year on Wednesday, June 1. Those interested in auditioning are encouraged to apply. However, since there are a limited number of openings, auditions will be by invitation only. Applications will be accepted until May 18, and applicants will be notified approximately 10 days prior to audition day as to whether or not they will be allowed to audition.
- Principal instrument/voice audition - Required of all applicants.
- Program interview - Required of Music Education and Music Therapy applicants.
- Piano placement exam - Students with 2-4 years of previous keyboard experience are encouraged to take this exam to determine which semester of piano is appropriate.
- Audition day schedule - (January, February, March)
All incoming students will be required to take the Music Literacy Assessment or Music Theory Exam (undergraduate or graduate). Exams will be scheduled near the beginning of the first semester of music study at EMU. Students will be contacted with details.
Official audition results are determined by the Director of the School of Music & Dance based on the recommendations of the music faculty and are mailed to the applicant, normally within ten business days of the audition.
Not ready to apply, but want to know more about EMU Music?
If you have questions concerning the Music & Dance application process, please contact Dr. Donald Babcock, admissions coordinator.
Students with disabilities who feel that they may need an accommodation to complete the admissions process should contact Dr. Donald Babcock at [email protected] for assistance.