EMU Wind Symphony selected to perform at the 2020 CBDNA division conference at DePaul University in Chicago
- The EMU Wind Symphony, under the direction of Mary K. Schneider, is one of eight wind ensembles chosen by audition to present a concert at the College Band Directors National Association (CBDNA) conference on February 21, 2020. Held at DePaul University in Chicago, the north-central division conference includes institutions from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and South Dakota. This will mark the second time the EMU Wind Symphony has applied and been selected for this honor, having performed at the same conference in 2012 in Mt. Pleasant. A featured ensemble of the EMU School of Music & Dance, the Wind Symphony performs 5 concerts every year at Pease Auditorium. In 2018, they were the featured ensemble for a clinic on diverse repertoire and programming at the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic, and each spring, a performance tour takes them to high schools and middle schools throughout Michigan and Ohio.
Welcome our New Director of the School of Music & Dance and New Music Director of Orchestral Activities!
- We are thrilled to announce the appointment of Dr. Christopher Barrick, Director of EMU's School of Music & Dance, and Dr. Chad Hutchinson, Director of Orchestral Activities.
Congratulations Thomas Torrento! Regional Teacher of the Year.
- "LANSING – Ten Michigan educators have been named as 2018-19 Regional Teachers of the Year and will comprise the 2018-19 Michigan Teacher Leadership Advisory Council, a group of teachers dedicated to sharing a teacher’s voice in education discussions throughout the state.
- These teachers were selected following a multi-level process that began with more than 430 different teachers being nominated by students, staff, and community members."
Our master's in music education degree program has been recently revised!
- Are you looking to further yourself as a music educator? It's not too late to join us this fall to pursue your master's degree in music education! Our newly revised program has many advantages, particularly for those who don't want to give up their jobs or their summers.
- For more information, see the program page.
Paul Taylor, a prolific dancer and choreographer, dies at 88.
- "Paul Taylor, who brought a lyrical musicality, capacity for joy and wide poetic imagination to modern dance over six decades as one of its greatest choreographers, died on Wednesday in a Manhattan hospital. He was 88."
- Read about his contributions to the modern dance world.
The EMU Community Music Academy is enrolling for early childhood, preschool and beginning piano classes, as well as private piano.
- EMU's Community Music Academy (CMA) offers non-credit music lessons and classes in piano. We provide an environment that encourages students to realize their musical aptitude in a nurturing and supportive environment.
- Classes start mid-September. Enroll now.
Yael Rothfeld, part-time lecturer at EMU, receives University Musical Society's DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year Award.
In addition to teaching music education at EMU, Rothfeld is also a full-time elementary school vocal music teacher at Thurston Elementary School in Ann Arbor, where she teaches preschool through fifth grade and constantly adds new and innovative components to her curriculum."