Immigration Information
» Immigration Documents
» Immigration Matters
» Additional Immigration Resources

Immigration Documents


A Certificate of Eligibility issued by the University and is used to enter and/or remain in the U.S in J-1 Exchange Visitor or Student status.


A Certificate of Eligibility issued by the University and is used to enter and/or remain in the U.S. in F-1 Student status.

I-94 Arrival-Departure Card:

The DHS, CBP official at the port-of-entry gives foreign visitors (all non-U.S. citizens) an Arrival-Departure Record, (a small white card) when they enter the U.S. Recorded on this card is the immigrant classification and the authorized period of stay in the U.S. This is either recorded as a date or the entry of D/S, meaning duration of status. It is important to keep this card safe because it shows the length of time you are permitted and authorized by the DHS to stay in the U.S. It is best kept stapled with your passport, kept in a safe place. The visitors return the I-94 card when they leave the country.

In Summer 2013, the U.S. government began issuing I-94 cards electronically. For more information see


An official government document that certifies one's identity and citizenship and permits a citizen to travel abroad.


A citizen of a foreign country, wishing to enter the U.S., generally must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Visa applicants need to apply overseas, at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, generally in their country of permanent residence. The type of visa you must have is defined by immigration law, and relates to the purpose of your travel. A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to the U.S. port-of entry, and request permission of the U.S. immigration inspector to enter the U.S. Issuance of a visa does not guarantee entry to the U.S. The CBP Officer at the port-of-entry determines whether you can be admitted and decides how long you can stay for any particular visit.

Damaged or misplaced documents:

Click here for more information on how to replace damaged, missing or stolen documents.

Immigration Matters

Change of Address COA:

Notify OISS of any change in either your local or permanent address by updating your account. All F-1 and J-1 students must notify the OISS within 10 days of a change of address. The OISS will notify the Department of Homeland Security with the changes, through the SEVIS system, of your new address.

Change of Status:

Changing from one non-immigrant visa status to a different non-immigration visa status:

  • F-2 to F-1
  • F-1 to F-2
  • H-4 to F-1

Concurrent Enrollment:

At another college or university – EMU students are required to take a minimum of 50% of their credits, during the fall and winter terms, at EMU. The other remaining credits can be taken at another school, with approval. See the Concurrent/Guest Enrollment Procedure for additional information.

Extension of Stay EOS

If students will not be able to complete their studies by the completion date specified on their I-20, they must submit an EOS form, signed by their academic advisor and specifying the reason for the extension. The EOS form must be received in the OISS no later than 2 weeks prior to the program end date to guarantee timely processing with SEVIS. You will receive a new I-20 with the changed program completion date once SEVIS has approved the requested change.

Guest Student

At another college or university – During the spring and summer terms, EMU international students may take classes at another school. More information is contained in the Concurrent/Guest Enrollment Procedure.

Reduced Course Load

If a student will be not be registered full time during the fall, winter or their first term, they must submit a Reduced Hours Form (RHF), signed by their academic advisor within the drop/add period. See the Reduced Hours Procedure for additional information.

Unauthorized Total Class Withdrawal

If you withdraw from all classes without OISS authorization you must leave the U.S. immediately; no grace period applies.

Transfer In to EMU

Students currently studying at another SEVIS approved school may be eligible to transfer their SEVIS record to EMU. The transfer in procedure and information can be found on the International Admissions webpage for transfer students.

Transfer Out to another college or university

If you are currently an EMU student and have been admitted to another SEVIS approved school, you may be eligible to transfer your SEVIS record to the new school. See the transfer out procedure for additional information.

Additional Immigration Resources

US Citizenship & Immigration Services:

The government agency that oversees lawful immigration to the United States.

US Department of State:

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement:

The largest investigative agency in the US Department of Homeland Security and is charged to protect the security of the American people and homeland by enforcing the nation's immigration and customs laws.