Health Care & Insurance

Health care in the United States can be expensive if you do not have the proper insurance coverage. That is why EMU requires all F and J international students to have proper insurance coverage in case of an accident or illness. Please read the following information:

  • Immunization - EMU strongly recommends that all students have up-to-date immunizations. For a list of recommended vaccinations and prices (if given at Snow Health Center), please see the University Health Services website at

  • Tuberculosis Screenings - EMU requires tuberculosis (TB) screenings for international students from high-risk countries. See for more information.

  • Costs - All international students enrolled in EMU classes (including summer semester) are automatically given the university's insurance policy. Please visit the UHS website for cost information.

  • Getting your card - See the guide for information on how to request your health insurance card. You are able to access your card about a month after the start of class. If you need medical services before you can access your card, please contact the Snow Health Center's Insurance office for assistance.

  • Understanding the EMU insurance plan - Insurance coverage is provided by United HealthCare. To learn about your insurance plan, see Brochure . Please use this site to search for a doctor who accepts your plan and to see what is covered (and not covered!) by your plan.

  • Seeing a doctor - Unless it is urgent or an emergency, you must see a doctor at the Snow Health Center ( If there is an an emergency and it is after Snow Health Center's business hours, it is suggested that you go to an urgent care clinic or hospital. See the fliers on "Snow, Urgent Care, or Emergency Room" and "Urgent Care Clinics" for more information.

  • Waiver - You are able to waive the university policy if you have an acceptable group insurance plan provided by an employer or government. Please visit the UHS website for the waiver application.

  • Post-Graduation Insurance Options - - If you have EMU health insurance, your coverage will end after your final semester of class enrollment. You only have EMU insurance if you are registered for classes; if you are graduating, you will not automatically have continued coverage.

    If you are graduating in a winter term, but you have an I-20/DS-2019 with an end date after the winter term, you will be charged summer health insurance. If you would like to cancel the summer insurance because you are graduating, you need to obtain a new I-20 with a winter end date and give a copy to the Snow Insurance Office; you can obtain a new I-20 with a winter end date by submitting a complete Shorten Program Request found at

    We highly recommend you obtain appropriate health insurance coverage after graduation- either by continuing the EMU insurance plan or purchasing another comparable plan outside EMU.

    If you would like to continue the EMU plan, you MUST request continuation of your plan BEFORE you graduate and your I-20/DS-2019 ends. The costs and length of coverage depend on whether you have employment in the United States. Please contact the Snow Health Center Insurance office for more information and to sign up for a continuation of your insurance plan. You can contact them at 734-487-3048 or by walk-in (2nd floor of Snow), Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., or 1 to 4 p.m.

  • Resources - Insurance matters can be confusing and complicated. It is the student's responsibility to understand their insurance and how to use it, therefore there are various resources available on the right column to help guide students:
    1. To learn more about using insurance and the Snow Health Center, please read the "Insurance Information for International Students" at
    2. 2. To better understand what is health insurance, types and guidelines, and a glossary of common insurance terms, please read the "Student Health Insurance Guide for International Students."

Resources forms




insurance link


Embassy sponsored link..