Replacement of stolen, lost or damaged documents

It is important to immediately report any lost or stolen documents to the appropriate authorities. It is also important to carry copies of your immigration documents while you are seeking a replacement. Check with the OISS if you do not have photocopies of your missing documents, as we may have copies on file for you.

Replacement of Documents

EMU Police:

If your documents were lost or stolen on campus, contact the EMU police at 734-487-1222 or by going 1200 Oakwood Street to file a report. If your documents were lost or stolen outside of campus, please contact the local police of that area. If you have questions, the EMU police may be able to provide you with additional information and resources.


Each embassy or consulate has different procedures on how to obtain a new passport. Contact or review the website of your home country's embassy or consulate to find out how to obtain a new passport and to make notification of your missing passport to guard against fraudulent use.


If your visa is lost or stolen, you should contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that issued your visa to make sure it is not used fraudulently by another person. Also inform them if you had any other valid visas, such as a B-1/B-2 visitor visa. Contact information for U.S. Consulates and Embassies abroad can be found at

I-94 Card:

Complete an I-102 from the USCIS website at Consult an OISS advisor if you plan to travel outside the U.S. soon or are not sure if you need to apply for a new card.

I-20 or DS-2019:

Request a replacement from OISS by contacting us at or coming by our office at 240 Student Center.

EAD Card for F-1 Students on Optional Practical Training (OPT):

You will need to complete a new application requesting a replacement card. You are subject to paying the cost of mailing and new EAD card. An OISS advisor will assist you in putting together a new EAD application. Please make an appointment with an OISS advisor.

Social Security Card:

To replace a Social Security card, you need to complete a new SS-5 (Application for a Social Security Card). Take the application with you to the nearest Social Security office. You are required to show original documents proving your identity and immigration status (I-20 or DS-2019, passport, visa, I-94 card/printout). You are also required to show current work authorization, such as on-campus offer letter, I-20 with CPT authorization and offer letter, I-20 with OPT authorization and EAD card.

Identity Theft Concerns:

If you suspect someone is using your Social Security Number, you should take these steps to protect yourself:

  • File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (1-877-438-4338)
  • File an online complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center at
  • Check your Social Security records (1-800-772-1213) to ensure your income is calculated correctly
  • Monitor your credit reports

Be sure to check your accounts for any documents or information stolen (such as credit cards, checks, ATM cards, etc.). If necessary, contact your bank to cancel or put a temporary hold on any accounts. You may want to check your credit report to make sure no one has opened a credit card or other accounts under your name and charging purchases. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires three companies to provide you with one free credit report every 12 months. See the U.S. Federal Trade Commission's website ( for additional information.