Insurance Requirements

The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (C.F.R.) requires that all J-1 and J-2 visa holders carry health insurance during their entire stay in the United States. Details of 22 C.F.R. § 62.14 Mandatory Health Insurance for Exchange Visitors regulations can be found on the U.S. Department of State in the Insurance section.

Scholars are able to carry any insurance policy (with the exception of Fulbright Scholars), as long as the coverage meets the J-visa regulations minimum requirements. EMU's health insurance policy meets these requirements and scholars are welcome to purchase coverage from EMU. Find more information about the EMU insurance policy. For a list of other companies, see the OISS flier on scholar health insurance options [PDF].

Proof of insurance is required during check-in at the OISS. It is the scholar's responsibility that this requirement is fulfilled and that he or she (and accompanying dependents) have the appropriate insurance coverage mandated by the U.S. government.

Skip Section Navigation