EMU Connect is our mandatory three-day orientation event for new incoming students. During Connect we have events for students to get the opportunity to interact with staff and faculty members, current students, and the campus community.
Meals will be provided for all 3 days.
Pre-Connect Check List
Make sure to review the Housing and Residence Life Guide to Living on Campus to ensure you are ready to move in to your residence hall.
EMU Connect event highlights:
Connect Group Leader (CGL) small group time and check-ins
- Meet and connect with other incoming students and your Connect Group Leader (CGL). CGLs (upperclass EMU students) will be your guide to EMU Connect, and any final preparations for your fall semester! Ask questions, for advice, or even if they can show you where your classes are!
Life in the Classroom
- Sunday, 8.27.23 - Meet EMU faculty before classes begin! They will tell it like it is – from the syllabus to office hours, professors' expectations, what to anticipate on the first day of class, and how to be successful in in-person, hybrid & virtual classes. Find out how to take responsibility for your learning, and how to communicate with your Instructors
Life on Campus
- Sunday, 8.27.23 - While classes and academics are a large portion of your college experience, there is also much to learn outside of the classroom. Meet some of the Student Affairs staff and learn about different on-campus activities to round out your experiences
How to be Connected as a Commuting Student
- Friday, 8.25.23 - There is more to your experience at EMU than driving to and from campus! Join us as we share information and resources for your success as a commuting student. Learn tips on balancing campus and home life, and how to be an active and engaged part of the EMU community.
College Open House
- Friday, 8.25.23 - Visit the academic colleges and find out what makes each college unique! Still determining what you might want your major to be? Use this time to meet the faculty and staff and explore each college bit more!
EMU First-Generation "Success Wings" Open House
- Friday, 8.25.23 - Come engage with the EMU First-Gen Forward Initiative Team to get your "Success Wings", designed exclusively for our first-gen Eagles at Eastern Michigan University! Our first-gen Eagles are those whose parents/guardians do not hold a four-year college degree. If this is you, you are a first-gen Eagle! Our "Success Wings" open house will be a space in which individuals can discover the tools and support needed to navigate the college journey as a first-gen Eagle with confidence and soar to new heights of achievement. This empowering space will provide valuable insights, resources, and connections to help you excel academically, embrace your unique strengths, and build a strong foundation for success as you spread your wings and make your mark at EMU. Let's take flight together!
- Sunday, 8.27.23 - What better way to learn about the campus departments and resources that will support your success than visiting them at their locations! Grab a Passport to Success at the Ice Cream Social and be on your way! Don't forget to get your Passport stamped at each location to earn tickets that can be redeemed at Recharge at the Rec!
Recharge at the Rec
Sunday, 8.27.23 - Our last event of EMU Connect 2023! Kick off the Fall semester with Recharge at the Rec. Join us for games, inflatables, prizes, food, and more! Dinner will be 5:30pm - 7pm in Bowen Field House adjacent to the Rec.
EMU Connect Mission
The EMU Connect mission is to provide a positive first experience for all incoming students to set the tone for their collegiate journey. We are guides committed to ensuring that all students feel welcome at EMU and have the support to become well-adjusted members of the EMU community.
page last updated: 8/2/2023