- Ph.D. University of Nevada, Reno, Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. Temple University, Philadelphia, Experimental Psychology
- University of Michigan Health System, Rehabilitation Psychology and Neuropsychology
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, South Central MIRECC
Interests and Expertise
- Clinical geropsychology
- Living with neurological conditions, such as Alzheimer's disease, Lewy Body's disease, stroke, brain tumors, and other diseases that lead to problems with thinking, attending, reasoning, remembering, or problem-solving
- Care partner skills training (e.g., behavior management, dialectical behavioral therapy skills group)
- Psychotherapy training, implementing "third-wave" cognitive-behavior therapies
- PSY 203 Self-analysis and self-control (self-directed behavior change)
- PSY 627 Behavioral and other evidence-based therapies
- PSY 670 Scientific and professional ethics
- PSY 671 Practicum in behavioral and other evidence-based therapies
- PSY 710 Neuropsychological assessment
- PSY 723 Psychopharmacology
- PSY 743 Psychopathology
- PSY 762 Cognitive assessment
Publications and Presentations
- Drossel, C., Bruzek, J., & VanPutten, R. (2021). Behavioral gerontology. In A. Maragakis, C. Drossel, & T. Waltz (Eds.), Applications of behavior analysis in healthcare and beyond. Springer International.
- Drossel, C. , and Trahan, M. (2015). Behavioral interventions are first-line treatments for managing changes associated with cognitive decline. The Behavior Therapist, 38(5), 126–131.
- Drossel, C. , and McCausland, C. (2015). Akzeptanz und Commitment Therapie in der Betreuung Angehöriger von Menschen mit Neurokognitiven Störungen. In J. Martz, A. Gloster, and M. Waadt (Eds.), Arbeiten mit der Akzeptanz- und Commitment-Therapie: Ein Fallbuch (pp. 97–129). Bern, Switzerland: Verlag Hans Huber.
- Drossel, C., McCausland, C., Schneider, N., and Cattavelli, R. (2014). Functional adaptation of acceptance and mindfulness-based therapies: An ethical imperative. In Masuda, A. (Ed.), Mindfulness and acceptance in multicultural competency: A contextual approach to sociocultural diversity in theory and practice (pp. 129–146). Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications, Inc.
- Drossel, C., Fisher, J. E., and Mercer, V. (2011). A DBT skills training group for caregivers of persons with dementia. Behavior Therapy, 42(1), 109–119.
- McCurry, S., and Drossel. C. (2011). Treating dementia in context: A step-by-step guide to working with individuals and families. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
For office hours, please click here.
Grants, Honors and AwardsMichigan Health Endowment Fund:
EMU Geropsychology Training (2017-2020)
EMU Geropsychology -- Detecting and Managing High-Conflict Caregiving Situations (2019-2021)
Please call 734.627.7620 to inquire about current research studies, community educational workshops, or health psychology services for adults 60 and older
Aging and Behavioral Health in Context Research Lab (with Thomas Waltz, Ph.D., Ph.D.): Fridays, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.