- Ph.D. University of Nevada, Reno, Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. Temple University, Philadelphia, Experimental Psychology
- University of Michigan Health System, Rehabilitation Psychology and Neuropsychology
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, South Central MIRECC
Interests and Expertise
- Clinical geropsychology
- Living with neurological conditions, such as Alzheimer's disease, Lewy Body's disease, stroke, brain tumors, and other diseases that lead to problems with thinking, attending, reasoning, remembering, or problem-solving
- Care partner skills training (e.g., behavior management, dialectical behavioral therapy skills group)
- Psychotherapy training, implementing "third-wave" cognitive-behavior therapies
- PSY 203 Self-analysis and self-control (self-directed behavior change)
- PSY 627 Behavioral and other evidence-based therapies
- PSY 670 Scientific and professional ethics
- PSY 671 Practicum in behavioral and other evidence-based therapies
- PSY 710 Neuropsychological assessment
- PSY 723 Psychopharmacology
- PSY 743 Psychopathology
- PSY 762 Cognitive assessment
Publications and Presentations
- Drossel, C., Bruzek, J., & VanPutten, R. (2021). Behavioral gerontology. In A. Maragakis, C. Drossel, & T. Waltz (Eds.), Applications of behavior analysis in healthcare and beyond. Springer International.
- Drossel, C. , and Trahan, M. (2015). Behavioral interventions are first-line treatments for managing changes associated with cognitive decline. The Behavior Therapist, 38(5), 126–131.
- Drossel, C. , and McCausland, C. (2015). Akzeptanz und Commitment Therapie in der Betreuung Angehöriger von Menschen mit Neurokognitiven Störungen. In J. Martz, A. Gloster, and M. Waadt (Eds.), Arbeiten mit der Akzeptanz- und Commitment-Therapie: Ein Fallbuch (pp. 97–129). Bern, Switzerland: Verlag Hans Huber.
- Drossel, C., McCausland, C., Schneider, N., and Cattavelli, R. (2014). Functional adaptation of acceptance and mindfulness-based therapies: An ethical imperative. In Masuda, A. (Ed.), Mindfulness and acceptance in multicultural competency: A contextual approach to sociocultural diversity in theory and practice (pp. 129–146). Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications, Inc.
- Drossel, C., Fisher, J. E., and Mercer, V. (2011). A DBT skills training group for caregivers of persons with dementia. Behavior Therapy, 42(1), 109–119.
- McCurry, S., and Drossel. C. (2011). Treating dementia in context: A step-by-step guide to working with individuals and families. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
For office hours, please click here.
Grants, Honors and AwardsMichigan Health Endowment Fund:
EMU Geropsychology Training (2017-2020)
EMU Geropsychology -- Detecting and Managing High-Conflict Caregiving Situations (2019-2021)
Please call 734.627.7620 to inquire about current research studies, community educational workshops, or health psychology services for adults 60 and older
Contextual Behavioral Science Lab (with Thomas Waltz, Ph.D., Ph.D.): Mondays, 3:00pm - 5:00pm