Front image
direct edit


EMU Research



  • Who do I contact if I am interested in pursuing sponsored research?
  • What is a DUNS #?
  • What is a TEIN # or and EIN #?
  • What are Indirect Costs?
  • What is an Indirect Cost Rate?
  • Who can be a Principal Investigator?


Who do I contact if I am interested in pursuing sponsored research?:  
The Office of Research Development and Administration is responsible for all sponsored research activities at EMU. ORDA is located at 200 Boone Hall, or you can reach the office by telephone at 487-3090, or by email at [email protected].

What is a DUNS #?:
The Data Universal Numbering System, abbreviated as DUNS or D-U-N-S, is a proprietary system developed and regulated by Dun & Bradstreet (D&B) that assigns a unique numeric identifier, referred to as a "DUNS number" to a single business entity. It was introduced in 1963 to support D&B's credit reporting practice. It is a common standard worldwide. DUNS users include the European Commission, the United Nations, and the United States government. More than 50 global, industry, and trade associations recognize, recommend, or require DUNS. All federal and state sponsoring agencies require a DUNS number in order to submit a proposal. Some foundations also ask for it.

What is a TEIN # or and EIN #?:
The TEIN # or EIN # is the Federal Employer Identification Number. It is a unique number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to businesses in the United Stated for the purpose of identification. All federal and state sponsoring agencies will ask for this number, as will most foundations.

What are Indirect Costs?:
Indirect costs represent the expenses of doing business that are not readily identified with a particular grant, contract, project function or activity, but are necessary for the general operation of the organization and the conduct of activities it performs.

What is an Indirect Cost Rate?:
An indirect cost rate is simply a mechanism for determining fairly and conveniently within the boundaries of sound administrative principle, what proportions of Departmental/organization administration costs each programs should bear. EMU's cognizant agency (the federal agency that determines our Indirect Cost Rate) is the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Office of Business and Finance work directly with DHHS to provide the necessary information for them to determine our IDC rate. The rate is revisited on a periodic basis, as determined by DHHS.

Who can be a Principal Investigator?:
A Principal Investigator must be a full-time employee (Faculty, Administrative Professional, Professional Technical/Exempt, Clerical) at Eastern Michigan University.

Elevating Communities, Inspiring Generations

EMU Research, 200 Boone Phone: 734.487.3090 mail [email protected]