Apply for Housing: Graduate Students

(Returning Students, New Transfers and New Grad Students)

EMU Apartments options are sold-out. If you'd like to be placed on a wait-list, please email:

2018–19 Housing Application

Be prepared before you apply. Read all of the information contained on this website and also the corresponding links regarding housing selection for next fall. If you do not read everything, you will not be informed of important information, changes and deadlines!

 Application Information

  • The Application will open at 10:00am on Wednesday, March 14, 2018. Do not try to access it any earlier as you will have difficulty getting in when it does become available.
  • A non-refundable $150 credit card payment will need to be paid when starting the application. The prepayment cannot be waived nor can it be charged to the student account. The prepayment is your first housing payment for the Fall 2018 semester.

Student E-Bill Accounts

  • Your student account needs to be up to date to be able to access the application system.
  • If you have a financial hold on your account, you will not be able to access the application.
  • If you are on a payment plan be sure that you are making payments by the scheduled due dates to avoid having a hold placed onto your account.
  • Check your E-Bill now before the application system opens so that there are no surprises.
  • Please note that if you make a payment for a past due bill, it takes 24 hours for the hold to come off of your account so you will not be able to access the application until the next day. Plan accordingly!

2018-19 Housing and Dining Contract

  • Read the contract language [PDF]. It is your responsibility to read and understand the terms and conditions of the contract.  Know what you are agreeing to.  You will be held to the terms of the contract whether you read it or not.
  • The Housing and Dining Services contract is for the full academic year, September through April, which includes both the fall and winter semesters.
  • Release from the contract is not granted anytime throughout the academic year for an enrolled student once that student has moved into their assigned space in the fall.

University Apartments

  • Only those students who graduated from high school during the 2015-16 school year (or earlier) are eligible for University Apartments (Brown, Munson, Cornell, Westview, and 601 W Forest).
  • Space in the apartments is not guaranteed as they do fill quickly.

Move-In Dates for Fall 2018

  • Move-In for the fall for all returning, transfer, and graduate transfer students will be on Saturday, September 1, 2018.
  • We are not able to accommodate any earlier move-ins. Please make your plans accordingly.  This includes moving from off campus properties that may require you to move out earlier than what we open.

Hall Eligibility

  • Students selecting Downing Hall must be an admitted Honors College student.
  • Students selecting Best must have a minimum overall gpa of 3.3 as of the end of the Fall 2017 semester.
  • Students selecting the Village must have a minimum overall gpa of 2.5 as of the end of the Fall 2017 semester.

Roommate Requests

  • If you have a specific roommate that you want to live with, you will both want to apply at the same time so that you can search for open spaces together that will accommodate you.

Selection of Room Space

  • A limited number of single rooms are offered in the residence halls, and in 1 person units in our University Apartment complexes.
  • The additional cost of a single is NOT covered by Financial Aid.

Cancellation Information

  • A cancellation of the contract can be made in writing to the Housing email account at The prepayment is non-refundable.
  • Cancellations result in a forfeiture of the entire prepayment, regardless of the reason and will appear as a “Cancellation Charge” on your fall bill.
  • Requests for cancellation are not accepted by phone.

Financial Aid

  • If you intend to apply for financial aid funding for the 2018-19 school year, this should be done  
    as soon as possible!
  • Students need to complete the FAFSA each year to receive aid.
  • You need to have your financial aid accepted and confirmed well BEFORE the fall semester starts.
  • Give careful consideration to requesting a single room. Most students do NOT receive enough financial aid to cover the additional cost of a single.

FAQ Page


  • If you have additional questions, contact us via email at Your questions will be answered quickly by an administrative staff member who knows the correct information.  Do not call the Housing Main Office as those answering the phones are not familiar with many of the selection procedures.
  • Do not rely on room selection information given to you by anyone other than what is received from an administrative Housing staff member. This includes friends, RAs, front desk staff or other offices on campus…the information they give is often wrong!
  • Better yet, stop by the Housing Office to speak with one of the assignment staff. We are more than willing to take the time to answer all of your questions.

Application Link

Go to the Housing Application Portal. You must have your my.emich user name and password to log in. Please have your credit card ready, as making your prepayment is one of the first steps.

When in the Housing Application Portal, make sure to click the CAS SSO PROVIDER link to log-in.

Come to campus prepared! Read the Guide to Campus Living [PDF] before you arrive.

Read EMU's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report.

Skip Section Navigation