Apply for Housing: Upperclassmen
Please note that the information on this page is specific to the application process for all those currently living on campus, commuters, new transfer students, and all graduate students.
2019–2020 Housing Application Dates and Deadlines:
Monday, January 7, 2019 at 10 a.m. - Application opens for all those currently living on campus, commuters, new transfer students, and all graduate students. A $150 prepayment is required at the start of the application; please start planning for this payment NOW. The prepayment cannot be waived nor charged to your student account.
Monday, January 7, 2019 at 10 a.m. – Friday, February 22, 2019 at 11:55 p.m.- Priority application phase. All those that are eligible to renew their SAME bed assignment can do so during this time-frame. Otherwise, students can create roommate groups for room selection.
Friday, February 22, 2019 at 11:55 p.m. - Priority application closes. If you do not apply and make your prepayment PRIOR to this date and time, you are not eligible to participate in priority room selection. The application will reopen for late applicants on Monday, March 11 at 10 a.m.
Monday, March 4, 2019 at 10am – Monday, March 11, 2019 at 10 a.m. - Priority room selection via timeslots. All eligible students who apply prior to the February 22 deadline will receive a time slot to come back into the application during this week to pick their space. If you are in a roommate group, the group leader has the ability to pick spaces for all eligible group members. If you are not the group leader, you will need to log into the application at some point this week to finish your application.
Monday, March 11, 2019 at 10 a.m. - Application reopens for late applicants to apply, select a space and their meal plan.
Monday, June 24, 2019 at 10 a.m. - Monday, July 2, 2019 at 10 a.m. - All housing applications closed for the end of the fiscal year and so that we can run charges.
Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10 a.m. - Application reopens and will remain open to complete online until opening weekend.
2019–2020 Application Details
Be prepared before you apply. Read all of the information contained on this website and also the corresponding links regarding housing selection for next fall. If you do not read everything, you will not be informed of important information, changes and deadlines!
- A non-refundable $150 credit card payment will need to be paid when starting the application.
- The prepayment cannot be waived nor can it be charged to the student account.
- You can also mail this payment in or pay in person at Service EMU, but both of these options will impact your ability to immediately continue with the application. Information on how to pay by mail or in person is detailed within the application process for your convenience.
Student E-Bill Accounts:
- Your student account needs to be up to date to be able to access the application system.
- If you have a financial hold on your account, you will not be able to access the application.
- If you are on a payment plan be sure that you are making payments by the scheduled due dates to avoid having a hold placed onto your account.
- Check your E-Bill now before the application system opens so that there are no surprises.
- Please note that if you make a payment for a past due bill, it takes approximately one business day for the hold to come off of your account. You will not be able to access the housing application until the hold comes off of your account.
Housing and Dining Contract:
- Read the contract language! It is your responsibility to read and understand the terms and conditions of the contract. Know what you are agreeing to, as you will be held to the terms of the contract whether you read it or not.
- The Housing and Dining Services contract is for the full academic year, which includes both the fall and winter semesters.
- A release from the contract is not granted anytime throughout the academic year for an enrolled student once that student has moved into their assigned space in the fall.
- A PDF of the 2019–2020 contract will be posted here shortly. Copies are also available for download via the housing application.
Hall & Apartment Eligibility:
- Students selecting Downing Hall must be an admitted Honors College student.
- Students selecting Best must have a minimum overall GPA of 3.3 as of the end of the Fall 2018 semester.
- Students selecting the Village must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5 as of the end of the Fall 2018 semester.
- Only those students who graduated from high school during the 2016–17 school year (or earlier) are eligible for University Apartments (Brown, Munson, Cornell, Westview, and 601 W Forest).
- Space in the apartments is not guaranteed as they do fill quickly.
- If you intend to apply for financial aid funding for the 2019 - 2020 school year, this should be done as soon as possible!
- Students need to complete the FAFSA each year to receive aid.
- You need to have your financial aid accepted and confirmed well BEFORE the fall semester starts.
- Give careful consideration to requesting a single room. Most students do NOT receive enough financial aid to cover the additional cost of a single.
Selection of a Single Room Space:
- A limited number of single rooms are offered in the residence halls, and in 1 person units in our University Apartment complexes.
- The additional cost of a single is NOT covered by Financial Aid.
Roommate Requests/Roommate Groups:
- If you have specific roommate(s) and/or suite-mate(s) that you want to live with, all students must apply and make their prepayment during the priority application phase (Monday, January 7, 2019 at 10 a.m. through Friday, February 22, 2019 at 11:55 p.m.).
- If someone you want to live with misses this deadline and is unable to be added to your group, they will have to wait and see if a space is still available once the application reopens for late applicants. Do not email or contact us to request that we add someone who missed the deadline; we will not add people to your group under any circumstance.
- Out of your group, designate one individual as the group leader. This person will create the roommate group within the application, and request all other members join the group via the housing application. Each member needs to confirm/accept this request.
- Once all members of the group have been added, the Group Leader needs to verify the group using the "Verify Group" link within the application. By doing this, the system will identify all members of the group as a unit that can move into the room selection process together.
- The Group Leader will find and assign themselves and all group members to a bed space during room selection. The Group Leader will not be able to access room selection until their designated lottery time slot date and time.
- If you are not the Group Leader, you still need to go back into the housing application after your assignment has been made to pick your meal plan and finish your application.
- A cancellation of the contract can be made in writing to the Housing email account at email@example.com. The prepayment is non-refundable.
- Cancellations result in a forfeiture of the entire prepayment, regardless of the reason and will appear as a “Cancellation Charge” on your fall bill.
- Requests for cancellation are not accepted by phone.
- If you have additional questions, contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your questions will be answered quickly by an administrative staff member who knows the correct information. Do not call the Housing Main Office as those answering the phones are not familiar with many of the selection procedures.
- Do not rely on room selection information given to you by anyone other than what is received from an administrative Housing staff member. This includes friends, RAs, front desk staff or other offices on campus…the information they give is often wrong!
- Better yet, stop by the Housing Office to speak with one of the assignment staff. We are more than willing to take the time to answer all of your questions.
Come to campus prepared! Read the Guide to Campus Living [PDF] before you arrive.