direct edit

header pic

Family Housing at EMU

Who is eligible for Family Housing?

Any EMU student with dependents--a spouse, children (under 18 years of age), or with other legal guardianship--is eligible to apply for Family Housing.


What are the application requirements?

You are required to submit a $50 prepayment (price for 2014-2015 school year), a copy of your marriage license (if married), and copies of birth certificates for your children (if applicable). If you have legal guardianship over another family member, you will need to submit copies of your court paperwork declaring your guardianship.


What are the registration requirements?

To be eligible to live on-campus during the school year, you must be enrolled for at least six credit hours per semester. Graduate students must be enrolled for at least three credit hours per semester to live on-campus.

For Summer semester, you do not have to be enrolled in classes to remain eligible to stay in your apartment, provided you have a signed lease on-file with us through the following school year.

During the Fall and Winter semesters, if you are found to be below the registration requirement listed above, we will issue court papers to remove you from the apartment for violating the terms of your lease.


What are the occupancy limits?

Family Housing permits a resident to have up to three additional legal dependents.

Family groups of two are permitted to reside in a one or two bedroom unit; all larger family groups are permitted to reside in two bedroom units only.


Where can I live?

Family Housing options are limited to Cornell Courts and Westview.


What options are available in Cornell and Westview?

Both Cornell and Westview offer one and two bedroom units. Pictures and floor plans are available on our website. Please keep the occupancy limits in mind while reviewing your options.

Cornell and Westview offer unfurnished and furnished options. Please be advised that only a small number of units come furnished and are often not available for new applicants.


When can I move-in?

Move-in dates for Fall 2015/Winter 2016 will be on Sunday, September 6th, 2015. Time and place of check-in TBA. No earlier move-in dates will be available due to our prep/cleaning constraints.

If you are looking to move-in during the Summer, we will work with you to schedule a move-in date. The availability of summer move-in dates will depend on availability and the status of work being done.


What is the cost?

Family/Faculty/Staff Housing

Fall 2014

Winter 2015

Academic Year

Cornell Courts/Westview      
Occupancy Max of Two       
One Bedroom - ST UF $2,650 $2,650 $5,300
One Bedroom - UP UF $2,900 $2,900 $5,800
One Bedroom - ST F $2,850 $2,850 $5,700
One Bedroom - UP F $3,000 $3,000 $6,000
Occupancy Max of Four
Two Bedroom - ST UF $3,600 $3,600 $7,200
Two Bedroom - UP UF $4,000 $4,000 $8,000
Two Bedroom - ST F $4,000 $4,000 $8,000
Two Bedroom - UP F $4,400 $4,400 $8,800
Faculty/Staff Surcharge: Add $100/semester      
ST=Standard UP=Upgraded      
UF=Unfurnished F=Furnished      



How am I billed for my apartment?

Your Student Account will be billed for the full semester’s housing charge before the start of each semester. We cannot charge your Student Account in installments. You may be eligible to set-up a payment plan with Student Business Services (SBS); please contact SBS regarding this option and set-up costs.


How can I make my prepayment?

You will need to submit your prepayment to the Cashier’s Office or through the following link to the E-Bill.

E-Bill prepayment address:

When making a payment online, you must click the DEPOSITS tab, not the PAYMENTS tab or your prepayment will not apply correctly. You will be asked what term the payment is for—please select the term you are applying to move-in (i.e. Fall 2015).


Where can I make my payment(s)?

All payments are to be made through the Cashier’s Office or through your E-Bill.


What payment options are available?

The Cashier’s Office accepts cash and checks within their office at 201 Peirce Hall. You may also pay online with a MasterCard, American Express, or Discover Card. The university does not accept the VISA credit card. Please note that payments by credit card are assessed an additional service fee.


I submitted my application, prepayment, and all additional materials. Now what?

Only complete applications will be considered, so please make sure to have all of your additional materials and prepayment submitted.

Once applications are processed, applicants will be emailed regarding their status and apartment availability.


How to I sign the lease?

If/once you are offered a space, you will schedule an appointment with a staff member to come into the office to sign your lease. If you are unable to meet with us in-person, we will work with you to make other arrangements.


How can I get an application?

Please click here to open a PDF of the Family Housing Application.


Where do I send my application and additional documentation?

You can mail your application to:

Housing & Residence Life

Attn: Evelynn Benn

Lower Level DC-ONE

Ypsilanti, MI 48197


You can scan and email your application and additional documents to:

You can fax your application materials to us, as well. If you choose to fax your materials, you must include a cover sheet with your name, E Number, and indicate the number of pages you are sending. Our fax number is shared by a large office and your use of a proper cover sheet will help make sure that all your materials get to the right person. Our fax number is: 734.487.8513


I have more questions; whom can I contact?

Please contact Evelynn Benn for all other questions. She can be reached at: 734.487.1300