Frequently Asked Questions - Apartment Residents

For students living in 601 West Forest, Brown, Munson, Cornell or Westview

  • What hours can I move-in?

    Expand dropdown
    For 2018, apartment move-in is between 9 a.m.–1 p.m. on Saturday, September 1, at McKenny Hall. If you cannot arrive and complete your check-in between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. at McKenny Hall, please plan to arrive at 3 p.m. (or after) and report to the Apartments Office at Brown Hall to start your move-in process. Move-ins/check-ins will not be processed between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Please plan accordingly!
  • Where do I go to move-in and what do I need to bring?

    Expand dropdown
    To move-in, please go to McKenny Hall to start the move-in process. When you arrive, please follow the signs to the Apartment Check-In area and be ready to provide the following information:
    • All personal contact information
    • Your assigned room number
    • Your EMU EagleOne Card or other picture identification
  • How does move-in work?

    Expand dropdown

    At move-in, you will fill out any necessary paperwork, receive your Room Condition Sheet (RCS) and sign for your apartment keys. You will then proceed to your apartment to complete your RCS. Directions and maps will be provided. Welcome Centers will be set up to assist students with their RCSs and to answer any questions you may have.

    If needed, a staff member will assist you in filling out a Room Condition Sheet, where you will be outlining the current condition and inventory of the room. It is important that you agree with what is written on this form before you sign it. When you move out, the same Room Condition Sheet will be reviewed and completed again. It is through differences on the form that any damage charges will be assessed. You are encouraged to photo document your room concerns at move-in.

  • Can I move-in early?

    Expand dropdown
    Due to staff training and other constraints, we cannot accommodate any earlier move-ins prior to this date and time; please plan work schedules, vacations, etc., accordingly. If you are having friends/family assist you with moving in, please make sure they are aware of the posted date and time and that no exceptions will be made. There are a number of hotels in the area, if you need to arrive earlier, that can accommodate you until the official move-in day.
  • Where can I park while moving in?

    Expand dropdown
    You may park in any designated space while at McKenny Hall.

    Once you proceed to your apartment:

    For Cornell Courts, Westview and 600 West Forest, you may park in any designated space at the complex.

    For 601 West Forest, unloading areas will be available near the building for you to unload your belongings. You will then be required to move your vehicle to the designated spaces within the Pease Parking Lot so that others are able to use the unloading areas.

    For Brown and Munson, unloading areas will be available near the building for you to unload your belongings. You will then be required to move your vehicle to the Parking Structure so that others are able to use the unloading areas.

    Important Notice

    At no time is driving or parking on the grass or sidewalks permitted. Individuals found in violation of this policy will be fined $50, billed for the any damaged caused to the grounds, and referred to SCCS.

  • What does my room look like?

    Expand dropdown
    Pictures and floor plans are available on the Housing and Residence Life website. Each complex is unique and you should review your specific complex's page.
  • What are the measurements of my room?

    Expand dropdown
    Dimensions of each unit is posted on each complex page. Each complex is unique and you should review your specific complex's page.
  • What should I bring to campus? Are there things I can't bring?

    Expand dropdown
    Read a list of suggested items [PDF] to bring to campus and items that are not permitted. Bed, Bath and Beyond will be hosting a Tent Sale during move-in. Essential items, like fans and lamps, will be available for purchase if you forget something or would rather purchase upon your arrival.
  • Can I bring my pet?

    Expand dropdown

    Only fresh water non-flesh eating fish are allowed in the Brown, Munson, 600 West Forest and 601 West Forest. No other pets are permitted in these complexes.

    In addition to pet fish, residents in Cornell and Westview are permitted to have up to two pet cats with written approval from the Housing & Residence Life Office. Residents must apply and be approved to have the pet(s) prior to bringing pet(s) to campus. If you have a roommate, both parties must agree on having the cat(s). Roommate authorization is part of the application process.

    Please refer to the Guide to Campus Living [PDF] for the complete Pet Policy.

    For further information and/or a pet cat application, please email the ACD for Apartments, Tamara Miller, at [email protected].

  • Where can I find the policies/rules associated with living on-campus?

    Expand dropdown
    The Guide to Campus Living [PDF] contains all of the rules, policies and other important information that you need to be aware of before moving on-campus. It is your responsibility to review this document prior to arriving and to be familiar with the content contained within.
  • How can I review what meal plan I signed-up for?

    Expand dropdown
    The meal plan that you selected can be seen on the meal plan page within your housing application.
  • Can I change my meal plan?

    Expand dropdown
    You can change your meal plan to another one of your available options through Friday, September 15 at 5 p.m. To change your meal plan, please come to the Housing and Residence Life Office during regular business hours or email your change request to [email protected].
  • Can I switch rooms and/or roommates?

    Expand dropdown

    No changes will occur during the first two weeks of the semester. But, during the first two weeks, you may start speaking with your resident advisor about how to initiate a room change request. Room change requests will be reviewed and processed starting the third week of classes.

    Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to change the room assignment of a student at any time, to authorize or deny room and roommate changes, and to consolidate vacancies.

  • I can't move-in on September 1 between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. What are my other options?

    Expand dropdown

    You may complete your move-in on Saturday, Sept. 1, by going to the Apartments Office at Brown Hall of your complex between the hours of 3 p.m. and 6 p.m.

    Move-ins/check-ins will not be processed between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Please plan accordingly!

    Move-ins will also be available from 9 a.m.–6 p.m. on Sunday, September 2, and Monday, September 3. Starting Tuesday, September 4, move-ins are available during regular Apartments Office hours.

  • I signed up for a single unit, and I am not sure I will be able to afford it. What should I do?

    Expand dropdown

    You need to ensure you have the monetary funds to cover the annual room and board costs before moving in. Please be advised that Financial Aid typically only covers the cost of a double unit.

    If you have a single, it is your responsibility to make sure you have the funds to cover the additional costs. If you will not be able to pay for the full cost of a single, you need to contact the Housing Office immediately to change your assignment to a double unit.

  • I have an unfurnished apartment and am looking for furniture. Can you make any recommendations?

    Expand dropdown

    If you are looking for furnishings for your apartment, we recommend that you look to CORT for all your needs! CORT is a furniture rental company, and you can lease furniture, as well as other household items, through them for nine or 12 month periods.

    To learn more about CORT and to review their excellent student packages, please see the CORT website.

  • What are the essentials that I need to bring with me?

    Expand dropdown

    We always recommend bringing toilet paper, a shower curtain, cookware, fans and cleaning supplies, in addition to your personal items.

    If you are moving into Brown/Munson, make sure to bring lamps, as there is minimal overhead lighting.

Skip Section Navigation