Safety and Security
Housing & Residence Life knows that safety and security are important issues.
We believe it takes a partnership between Housing & Residence Life procedures, our staff, and our students to maintain Eastern Michigan University's reputation as a safe campus.
Below are highlights of the multiple security measures on our campus and in our housing facilities:
Department of Public Safety
EMU’s Department of Public Safety (DPS) is a highly trained, professional and accredited police force of more than 30 officers is on duty 24/7, 365 days a year.
As sworn officers, EMU police are empowered to investigate, arrest or take other necessary action to address any criminal or other public infraction.
EMU officers work closely with local and state agencies, including the City of Ypsilanti Police Department, the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Department and the Michigan State Police.
EMU police officers patrol by car, motorcycle, bicycle and foot to maintain high profile, proactive and preventive public safety services.
A few key things to know:
- DPS has 700 + security cameras that blanket campus, with a high-tech command center that operates 24/7.
- DPS offers the SEEUS (Student Eyes and Ears for University Safety) campus escort service, which provides services to students, faculty and staff on campus after dark, until 3 a.m. More than 50 student employees are on call to escort students, faculty and staff around campus at night and overnight (during the academic year).
- DPS publishes daily crime and fire logs, along with an annual security report.
- There are blue light emergency call stations throughout campus that connect students directly to dispatch.
- Housing & Residence Life partners with DPS to conduct regular fire drills throughout the academic year.
- All residence halls are locked 24/7 and require a student to swipe in using their Eagle One ID card.
- After 10 p.m., all guests must be signed in at the front desk. All guests must be 18 years of age or older and have valid government issued picture ID in order to be admitted and signed in.
Housing & Residence Life Staff
Residence Hall and Apartments staff are a great resource for students. A full-time professional complex director runs each building with the support of a graduate assistant. Staff are on duty 365 days a year responding to emergencies. On each floor is a resident advisor, who is an upper level student there to assist and guide students during the year. They are trained to help with or make referrals for any type of situation.
- Each hall has a resident advisor on duty every night.
During the evening they walk the building to be attentive to safety and security concerns.
- Each night there is an ACD and three graduate staff on duty.
They are there to consult with resident advisors on duty and assist with major events.
- Each room is equipped with a smoke detector that is checked in August, December and April.
- Fire extinguishers and fire alarm pull stations are located in multiple locations in each hall.
- On the back of each room door is a schematic showing the nearest exit and identifying the reassembly location for residents should they need to evacuate the hall.
- Unannounced fire drills are conducted eight times per year.