by Geoff Larcom, Published January 15, 2010
Mark Jefferson — Thursday morning, at approximately 1 p.m., some disposed chemicals caught fire on the fourth floor of the Mark Jefferson Building. The apparent cause was a chemical reaction of the disposed chemicals, which created a spontaneous combustion.
A fire sprinkler head then activated, and water entered three elevator shafts in the building, causing the elevators to shut down.
Classes have continued as usual in Mark Jefferson Thursday, although currently there is no elevator service to the building. The Physical Plant currently has technicians working on restoring service.
There is minimal fire damage to a ceiling. By mid-morning Thursday, fans had cleared out much of the smell of smoke throughout many areas of the building. The fire was not related to the construction activities at the building.
ELEVATOR UPDATE: As of 3 p.m. Friday, there is still have no elevator service in Mark Jefferson. Parts have been ordered, and Physical Plant is diligently working to get them installed. Diagnosing the damage is a time-consuming, step-by-step process. On Monday, January 18, Thyssen-Krupp (manufacturer and installer) will be on campus to assist.
COB POWER OUTAGE: Friday morning, Jan. 15, aa utility pole near the College of Business was struck by a vehicle, causing a loss of electrical power to the COB. One person was evacuated safely from the elevators. As of 3 p.m. Friday, the College of Business is still running on emergency power.