UWCO - Using the Service
The University Writing Center is now offering online consultations through Canvas.
All eligible students, will have a University Writing Center Online course shell loaded into their Canvas portals.
The UWC Online wil no longer be accepting writing submissions through this website.
Submitting writing for an online consultation is easy!
There is a simple three-step process for submitting writing for an online consultation. Each step is its own module in Canvas.
- STEP ONE -- Provide Information
- In this module, you will select a link to complete a Google form to provide information about you and your assigment. This step is a prerequisite for submitting writing.
- STEP TWO -- Submit Your Writing
- In this module, you will upload the file with your writing, as well as any other relevant files (e.g., assignment instructions, assessment rubric, etc.) that may be helpful for your writing consultation.
- STEP THREE -- Take the UWCO Survey
- In this module, after you have reviewed the feedback from your writing consultant, you will select a link to complete a brief surveymonkey survey to let us know about your consultation.
- A notification will appear in Canvas shortly after you have successfully submitted your writing.
- A notification will then appear in Canvas under "Recent Feedback" indicating that the writing consultant has completed the review of your writing.
- When you receive the response, read the comments carefully. If you have brief, specific questions, contact the consultant by replying to the email message. If you have new concerns or a new paper you are working on, submit a new request form.
Policies and Guidelines
- At this time, only students enrolled in fully online programs are eligible for online consulations. A list of eligible programs can be found on the UWC Online page. All other students are welcome to come to the UWC in Halle library for face-to-face consultations.
- We can only accept papers (or a portions of paper) up to 5 pages in length.
- We cannot respond to writers whose deadlines fall within the time allowed (i.e. 48 or 72 hours).
- We can only accept one paper from a student per week.
- Please limit your areas of concern to one or two primary concerns. We will spend approximately one hour commenting on your paper, and cannot comment on everything.
- We are not a proofreading or editing service. We concentrate our comments on providing focused strategies for development and revision.
- Due to staffing limitations, we must reserve the option to reduce or restrict the availability of this service at any time.
- A writing consultant will respond with comments according to the following time frames: and
- Within 48 hours for requests submitted Mon.-Thur.
- Within 72 hours for requests submitted Fri.-Sun.